Prestigious awards for Torbay beaches
- Credit: Archant
Torbay is celebrating after receiving prestigious awards for ten of its beaches.
Keep Britain Tidy has awarded Anstey's Cove, Goodrington Beach, Maidencombe Beach, Paignton Beach, Preston Sands and Torre Abbey Sands the national Seaside Award for bathing and resort.
Meanwhile, Breakwater Beach, Broadsands and Oddicombe Beach have all been given a combined Seaside (resort) and globally recognised Blue Flag Award, which are administered by Keep Britain Tidy on behalf of the Foundation for Environmental Education, a non-governmental organisation.
Oddicombe Beach has now held a Blue Flag Award for 33 years, since the inception of the awards in 1987.
Seaside Awards recognise and rewards beaches in England that achieve the highest standards of beach management and, in the case of bathing beaches, meet the required standards for water quality.
Blue Flag Awards recognise a number of criteria covering environmental education and information, water quality, environmental management, safety and services.
Cllr Mike Morey, Cabinet member for infrastructure, environment and culture for Torbay Council, said: 'Torbay is renowned as the English Riviera UNESCO Global Geopark and its beaches are some of the best in the world so we are of course delighted to win these latest awards.
- 1 Byron back for Westcountry derby
- 2 'Midwifery Mermaids' brave frrrr-eezing water in year-long charity challenge
- 3 Norrms McNamara: Ten-second delay...
- 4 Gaffer: 'I've got us in this mess - and I've got to get us out of it'
- 5 Celebrity chef Mitch Tonks launches first British tinned seafood collection
- 6 Medical Matters: Healthy living programme for people diagnosed with type 2 diabetes now also online
- 7 Bryony gives evidence to disciplinary panel
- 8 Santa's James Bond-style arrival - and The Grinch came too
- 9 Riviera to stage new winter cricket academy
- 10 How studying Neanderthals helps understand the Covid-19 risks
'In these uncertain times, it is good to have some certainty and anyone visiting Torbay this summer can be sure they are visiting one of the country's – and the world's – best beaches, and with current travel restrictions people who hadn't previously thought of visiting Torbay should take the chance to come and see what we have to offer here.'
Carolyn Custerson, chief executive of the English Riviera BID, said: 'Visitors from around the world really love our natural and varied beaches and the many different activities associated with them.'
Keep Britain Tidy's Deputy Chief Executive Richard McIlwain said: 'When you enjoy a trip to a beach flying an international Blue Flag or Seaside Award, you know you are on one of the safest, cleanest and very best in the country.'