Torbay digital pioneers produce online NHS video library
- Credit: Archant
Patients and health staff across England are set to benefit from a comprehensive online health and care video library, originating from Torbay.
With the aim of making it easier for patients to access trusted health information and guidance remotely, the first national online library of more than 600 health videos will benefit both patients and clinicians alike across England.
The Health and Care Video Library has been professionally produced by Health and Care Innovations (HCI), an innovative partnership formed between Torbay and South Devon NHS Foundation Trust and Rocklands Media Ltd.
Each video has been designed to offer a practical alternative to written information and cover topics and conditions from pregnancy to podiatry.
Phil Keeling, consultant cardiologist and research lead for Torbay and South Devon NHS Foundation Trust, said: 'We have found that patient information videos definitely help improve the quality of life for our patients.
'They do this by informing patients about their condition and enabling them to manage it themselves through safe the visual trustworthy and understandable professional advice.'
Lily, a rheumatology patient at Torbay and South Devon, said: 'You can't always retain information but if you've got in on a screen that you can get at quickly, it's so helpful.'
- 1 Torquay United 2 King's Lynn Town 0
- 2 Gulls boss Gary Johnson: Homegrown duo 'in my future plans'
- 3 Defensive duties at Torquay United
- 4 Rowing: Excellent conditions for river Dart racing
- 5 Let's get together - reconnecting with people is food for the soul
- 6 Dr Peter Moore: I don't need an app giving me a 'medal' for brushing my teeth properly!
- 7 War veteran wins Brixham Lottery - with cards bought for his 105th birthday
- 8 Keith Perry: Family-friendly ramble around park that's home to variety of wildlife
- 9 Bid to rid town of Crossways eyesore takes giant leap forward
- 10 Torquay solicitors win Law Firm of Year award
Liz Davenport, chief executive at the trust, added: 'I am very proud of what we have achieved here in Torbay which is now recognised as a nationally important resource.'
Richard Wyatt-Haines, director of HCI, said: 'We've seen great things happen in health when simple digital solutions are implemented effectively. It is a joy for us as a partnership to share the resource we have created more widely so more patients can benefit.'
Eve Cockram, 17, watched a video of toenail surgery before operations at Newton Abbot Hospital.
Her mother Elizabeth said: 'Although Eve was apprehensive, we felt very prepared. Before recent surgery, we were shown the videos, including how to redress the wounds and Eve fully understood the aftercare required. It gave her confidence before and after the procedure.'