Torquay couple’s golden wedding anniversary
- Credit: Archant
Torquay couple celebrate 50 years wed
A Torquay couple whose dental expertise helped hundreds of people are celebrating 50 years marriage.
Paul and Hazel Hedge are both former dental hygienists who lived in the Lincombes are of Torquay for most of their lives.
They met training to become dental hygienists in the Royal Air Force.
It wasn't love at first sight. Hazel said: 'Paul used to wear florescent socks at the disco.'
After just three dates they were both posted overseas in different continents. Despite the distance love blossomed.
When Paul popped the question Hazel said: 'I thought he was joking.'
- 1 Sutton 0 Torquay United 1
- 2 Great performance when it mattered
- 3 Torquay United showdown at Sutton
- 4 Torbay Council confirms Anne-Marie Bond as new chief executive
- 5 Sunken Gardens work starts as lights shine bright on new future
- 6 Great fuel debate - the case for diesel
- 7 Jim Parker: Dave on the warpath again as 'majority lose out to minority' in anti-social battle
- 8 Bryony Frost recovering from National fall
- 9 Victorian splendour in the heart of Torquay
- 10 Adventure tourist attractions promoting Bay as premier outdoor destination
The wedding was a low key affair. They upgraded from 15 shillings to 17 and 6 to include a sherry with the sandwiches.
Paul then sold his prized cine-camera to pay for the honeymoon on the Norfolk Broads.
He also worked as a local chiropodist.
A celebratory holiday has been put on hold, instead they enjoyed a family celebration in a tent in the back garden