Torquay couple’s golden wedding anniversary
- Credit: Archant
Torquay couple celebrate 50 years wed
A Torquay couple whose dental expertise helped hundreds of people are celebrating 50 years marriage.
Paul and Hazel Hedge are both former dental hygienists who lived in the Lincombes are of Torquay for most of their lives.
They met training to become dental hygienists in the Royal Air Force.
It wasn't love at first sight. Hazel said: 'Paul used to wear florescent socks at the disco.'
After just three dates they were both posted overseas in different continents. Despite the distance love blossomed.
When Paul popped the question Hazel said: 'I thought he was joking.'
- 1 Charlton await United - if Gulls can win FA Cup replay
- 2 Johnson on FA Cup result: 'Havant deserved something out of game'
- 3 United 'Community Day' to unite Bay - and there are 1,000 free tickets
- 4 Picture special: Torbay buses
- 5 Retro Sport with Roger Mann: An ambition which money just can't buy!
- 6 'Mixed' bag for Torbay teams as basketball season opens
- 7 A harvest of hope at Pollinator Patch
- 8 Torquay settle for replay after Hawks threw everything at them in dying moments
- 9 September new registrations fall - fuelled by shortages
- 10 This sorry saga was always going to end in tears - but we need the horses and what about the Proms?
The wedding was a low key affair. They upgraded from 15 shillings to 17 and 6 to include a sherry with the sandwiches.
Paul then sold his prized cine-camera to pay for the honeymoon on the Norfolk Broads.
He also worked as a local chiropodist.
A celebratory holiday has been put on hold, instead they enjoyed a family celebration in a tent in the back garden