Torquay couple’s golden wedding anniversary
- Credit: Archant
Torquay couple celebrate 50 years wed
A Torquay couple whose dental expertise helped hundreds of people are celebrating 50 years marriage.
Paul and Hazel Hedge are both former dental hygienists who lived in the Lincombes are of Torquay for most of their lives.
They met training to become dental hygienists in the Royal Air Force.
It wasn't love at first sight. Hazel said: 'Paul used to wear florescent socks at the disco.'
After just three dates they were both posted overseas in different continents. Despite the distance love blossomed.
When Paul popped the question Hazel said: 'I thought he was joking.'
- 1 Tributes flow for legendary harbour artist Bill - our 'William in Orange'
- 2 Decision time for National League clubs
- 3 Former Torbay mayor says Living Coasts site should become a public open space
- 4 Dumped goldfish and carp rescued after found flapping for life on grass verge
- 5 Work set to start at Torquay seafront gardens
- 6 Nicky tells of battle to pull through after car crash left her in bed for five years
- 7 Purple Angel helping Torbay Hospital
- 8 Torquay loan goalkeeper from Truro
- 9 New signings wait for Torquay United chance
- 10 MP: Bank closure is blow to Torquay harbourside
The wedding was a low key affair. They upgraded from 15 shillings to 17 and 6 to include a sherry with the sandwiches.
Paul then sold his prized cine-camera to pay for the honeymoon on the Norfolk Broads.
He also worked as a local chiropodist.
A celebratory holiday has been put on hold, instead they enjoyed a family celebration in a tent in the back garden