Coastguards’ busiest day in four years

Coastguards responded to six incidents in less than 24 hours

Coastguards responded to six incidents in less than 24 hours - Credit: Archant

Coastguards in Torbay had their busiest day in four years, responding to six incidents in less than 24 hours.

In addition, there were further incidents attended by Berry Head coastguard team and both RNLI lifeboats.

The busy period kicked off with a man who had collapsed while walking with friends and hit his head on a rock near London Bridge.

The team administered first aid and passed him into the care of paramedics.

While on a safety patrol, they were asked to help a woman who had suffered a leg injury on Paignton beach.

They found the casualty and helped her to an ambulance and she was subsequently taken to hospital by a relative.

The following morning, the full team was sent to help a pregnant woman who had become very unwell while at Torre Abbey Meadows.

Most Read

They gave first aid until an ambulance arrived to take her to hospital for further checks.

This was followed by a woman who had fallen at Meadfoot beach and sustained a deep wound to her forehead, cuts and suspected spinal and leg injuries.

Coastguards, along with the inshore lifeboat crew, help to transfer her to an ambulance.

While at this incident, the team was approached by a member of the public who had concerns for someone with a suspected stroke.

Another ambulance was sent to the beach to take her to hospital.

On patrol later, they were sent to Holcombe to back up Teignmouth coastguard with a casualty who had a suspected heart attack. Fire crews and paramedics were also in attendance.

Also at the weekend, the volunteer crew of both Torbay lifeboats were sent to reports of someone in difficulty in the water on the south side of Berry Head.

Once on scene they discovered a group of people had been coasteering, climbing the cliffs in the area of Guillemot Cave and had jumped 20 meters into the water.

Unfortunately, one of the party had a bad landing and injured himself.

Both boats were used to extract the casualty from the rock and transport him back to Brixham to be met by ambulance and transferred to Torbay Hospital.