Torbay fish and chip shop named in top 50
- Credit: Archant
Drakes deliver top fish and chips - and the top Torbay Weekly
DRAKES are frying high! The fish and chip shop in Babbacombe, Torquay, have just been named in the 2020 Fry Magazine Top 50 Fish and Chip Takeaways in the UK.
It is the second time Drakes have been included in the prestigious list which recognises establishments producing quality food.
'It is a true recognition that we cook good fish and chips,' said Daniel Boatwright, of Drakes.
Drakes have adapted their business approach through lockdown but have continue to produce food for their loyal customers.
The chip shop is also working with charity SPACE Torbay to provide hot meals for those most in need. Daniel says: 'Lockdown has been a huge challenge and there are so many vulnerable people around us who rely on us as their hot meal of the day. We are on Just Eat, operate a click and collect service, and moving almost completely online has been the way of doing our business.
'We now deliver and from being 90 per cent down in the first couple of days of lockdown, we've climbed back up to almost normal.
- 1 Weekend watch for Torquay United
- 2 Ryan Law returns to Argyle
- 3 Dramatic bovine rescue from Torbay waters
- 4 Emotional day that revealed close-knit family behind monarchy
- 5 Jim Parker: Dave on the warpath again as 'majority lose out to minority' in anti-social battle
- 6 Queues form at Trago for Re-Open Day
- 7 Spacious and flexible accommodation has been improved, updated, and extended
- 8 Privileged to see jockey Dickie Johnson at Newton Abbot since start of career
- 9 I hope formality is put aside and the Queen is able to grieve for Prince Philip
- 10 'Responsible Riviera' call as restrictions ease
'We've had calls from places like Yorkshire, where someone's daughter is placing an order for their mum, who lives a few doors down the road from us.
'We also work with SPACE Torbay and provide them with 100 fish and chip lunches, which they then deliver to nursing homes and establishments for vulnerable people.'
Not only do Drakes deliver award-winning fish and chips, there will soon be delivering hundreds of copies of the new Torbay Weekly every week.
The newspaper is refining its delivery network to make sure as many people as possible receive a copy either directly through their letter box or at nearby locations like corner shops, working with residents and businesses like Drakes. More details be found on Page 7 and 21.
Daniel said: 'We love the Torbay Weekly and we've asked for a load of copies, which will be included in the bag for deliveries and collections.'
Torbay Weekly executive director Chris Coward said: 'The relationship with Drakes is what a local community newspaper is all about - working with business partners to get the important messages to a wider audience.'