Torbay fish and chip shop named in top 50
- Credit: Archant
Drakes deliver top fish and chips - and the top Torbay Weekly
DRAKES are frying high! The fish and chip shop in Babbacombe, Torquay, have just been named in the 2020 Fry Magazine Top 50 Fish and Chip Takeaways in the UK.
It is the second time Drakes have been included in the prestigious list which recognises establishments producing quality food.
'It is a true recognition that we cook good fish and chips,' said Daniel Boatwright, of Drakes.
Drakes have adapted their business approach through lockdown but have continue to produce food for their loyal customers.
The chip shop is also working with charity SPACE Torbay to provide hot meals for those most in need. Daniel says: 'Lockdown has been a huge challenge and there are so many vulnerable people around us who rely on us as their hot meal of the day. We are on Just Eat, operate a click and collect service, and moving almost completely online has been the way of doing our business.
'We now deliver and from being 90 per cent down in the first couple of days of lockdown, we've climbed back up to almost normal.
- 1 Show is world’s largest gathering of more than 3,000 iconic classic and vintage cars and motorbikes
- 2 Probus Club 'home' at last to hear about ghosts, gallows and 'Big Foot'
- 3 Sinclair's special start on community day
- 4 Athletics: Busy and successful weeks on racing calendar
- 5 Junior anglers take the fishing limelight
- 6 Fostering - why not consider a vocation that makes a real difference?
- 7 Securing future of Pavilion takes step forward
- 8 Norrms McNamara: All care staff need to be trained in dementia
- 9 Gig racing: Brixham hosts Cornish Pilot Gig Association's veterans' championships
- 10 There may be no carnival again - but that won't dampen spirits as Christmas plans are unveiled
'We've had calls from places like Yorkshire, where someone's daughter is placing an order for their mum, who lives a few doors down the road from us.
'We also work with SPACE Torbay and provide them with 100 fish and chip lunches, which they then deliver to nursing homes and establishments for vulnerable people.'
Not only do Drakes deliver award-winning fish and chips, there will soon be delivering hundreds of copies of the new Torbay Weekly every week.
The newspaper is refining its delivery network to make sure as many people as possible receive a copy either directly through their letter box or at nearby locations like corner shops, working with residents and businesses like Drakes. More details be found on Page 7 and 21.
Daniel said: 'We love the Torbay Weekly and we've asked for a load of copies, which will be included in the bag for deliveries and collections.'
Torbay Weekly executive director Chris Coward said: 'The relationship with Drakes is what a local community newspaper is all about - working with business partners to get the important messages to a wider audience.'