Torbay Alliance food banks working together
- Credit: Archant
A group of 12 charitable and voluntary organisations in Torbay have come together and created the Torbay Food Alliance.
Over the last week members of the Alliance have provided more than 300 food parcels for people who are struggling to feed their families. They have also delivered more than 150 free meals to some of the most vulnerable residents. The need is growing, but donations of food are reducing.
To support their work, and to ensure it continues for those who need it, the Alliance have now launched a Crowdfunding appeal to raise much-needed funds.
Any contribution, no matter how small, will go directly to provide food for individuals and families in need in Torbay. You can donate at: www.crowdfunder.co.uk/torbay-food-alliance. Torbay Council will match fund the donations made.
A spokesman for the Alliance said: 'Many more people are struggling to put food on the table, and many cannot even afford the absolute basics.
'Some people have found themselves without money and with an empty food cupboard through no fault of their own, and are relying on the generosity of others to get them through this difficult time.
'A healthy, balanced and nutritious diet is essential to keeping us all healthy and well, particularly during the current crisis. The members who are part of the Alliance are working together sharing skills and resources to support the increasing numbers of Torbay residents who are in need of food support during this time.'
- 1 Torquay United 2 King's Lynn Town 0
- 2 Gulls boss Gary Johnson: Homegrown duo 'in my future plans'
- 3 Defensive duties at Torquay United
- 4 Rowing: Excellent conditions for river Dart racing
- 5 Let's get together - reconnecting with people is food for the soul
- 6 Dr Peter Moore: I don't need an app giving me a 'medal' for brushing my teeth properly!
- 7 War veteran wins Brixham Lottery - with cards bought for his 105th birthday
- 8 Keith Perry: Family-friendly ramble around park that's home to variety of wildlife
- 9 Bid to rid town of Crossways eyesore takes giant leap forward
- 10 Torquay solicitors win Law Firm of Year award
Members of the Alliance include the Salvation Army in Torquay, Paignton Community Larder, Brixham Foodbank, PATH, Brixham YES, the Thrive Project, Riviera Life Storehouse, Crafty Fox Café 'n' Hub, Feed A Child Torbay, Rising Moments, Eat That Frog and Ellacombe Community Partnership.
This work is being supported by Torbay Community Development Trust and Torbay Council.
If you are struggling to afford food and need support from the Torbay Food Alliance, you can be referred through the Coronavirus helpline (01803 446022), Torbay Council's call centre (01803 201201) or via a member of the local health and social care teams.
To find out more about the Alliance and their work visit .torbayfoodalliance.org/