Thousands in Bay get broadband boost
- Credit: Virgin Media
Virgin Media O2 has added thousands of homes in Torbay to its gigabit network, connecting areas in and round the region to broadband speeds 28 times faster than the local average.
Virgin Media’s next-generation Gig1 broadband service, with average download speeds of 1,130Mbps, is the fastest available from any of the major broadband providers. It is the UK’s largest gigabit provider – more than twice the size of its nearest competitor.
As well as preparing homes for future technologies and applications including metaverse style augmented and virtual reality experiences, gigabit speeds enable households to do more online – from working, streaming, socialising and gaming – all at the same time on multiple devices under the same roof.
As part of the gigabit switch-on, Virgin Media O2 has upgraded thousands of homes in Torquay, Paignton and Brixham to gigabit speeds, completing the upgrade of its entire national network.
Lutz Schüler, Chief Executive Officer at Virgin Media O2, said: “Just two years ago we set out to spearhead the UK’s gigabit revolution and today we’ve delivered. Our investment to bring gigabit broadband to every home on our network, including in Torbay, has catapulted the UK’s digital infrastructure forward by a decade and forced others to up their game.
“As the country’s largest gigabit provider by far, we’re the driving force behind widespread gigabit availability four years ahead of the Government’s target.
“Having reached this major milestone by bringing Gig1 to Torbay, we’re doubling down on our mission to upgrade the UK by continuing to innovate and invest in our network to support the technologies of tomorrow – there’s no slowing down at Virgin Media O2.”
- 1 Property of the Week: Stunning seaside holiday let property
- 2 Great win on the road for United
- 3 Torquay United under-18s triumph over league leaders
- 4 Gulls savour 'huge three points'
- 5 Swiss Raw crew cross finish line to win Atlantic rowing race
- 6 Saluting top man 'Skivvo' as he announces he's leaving the Glovers
- 7 Tribute to talented artist and craftswoman Mandy, who brought out the best in those she taught
- 8 Afghan refugee family move to Torbay after delays
- 9 Solar farms are power to council's elbow but don't forget the Gulls - and the archers!
- 10 2021 Talisker Whisky Atlantic Challenge rowers heading for finish line
As part of its mission to upgrade the UK, the company has committed to invest at least £10bn over the next five years in the UK.
Gig1 broadband is available to new and existing customers and can be packaged with or without telephone, TV and mobile services. Prices start from just £62 per month on an 18-month contract with a guaranteed price freeze for at least 24 months.
Customers can find out more and buy Gig1 at https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/gigabit