Community Matters: There’s loads going on in Torbay
- Credit: Submitted
Ceri Silk, Torquay town centre community builder:
Double double toil and trouble. Fire burn and cauldron bubble…
The bewitching weekend is upon us, and Torquay town centre shop windows are lavish with vibrant arrays of spooky memorabilia.
Originally, the festival of All Hallows' Day, Halloween has been celebrated with great enthusiasm and often outright abandon in Torquay since the Victorians.
Yes, the nights are drawing in, and the weather has turned chilly, but don’t let that stop you from getting out and about; there’s loads going on in Torbay.
As the new community builder for the Torquay town centre area, I’m really thrilled to be starting this position at the time when there is a real momentum to make some improvements, reconnect with our neighbourhood and rediscover the hidden treasures, and the wealth of skills, experience, and knowledge that exist in this area.
So dress up warm, gap your brolly and head out...
- 1 Gary Johnson: Whatever I may say, I'm a very bad loser
- 2 How we can cope with the Enemy Within
- 3 Tough player decisions ahead as Gaffer tries to build Torquay United squad fit for success
- 4 Top fashion store Maggie & Co closes doors after 48 years - but 'we leave on a high'
- 5 TW Livermead Coffee Girls
- 6 How you can help us win the battle against winter
- 7 Christmas arrives in Torquay thanks to a sparkly wand (and an MP and jeweller)
- 8 Brixham Reserves take the biggest stride forward in South Devon Prem
- 9 Christmas hamper appeal aims to help 120 Torbay families
- 10 Winter fest is back - and so too is Father Christmas
Coffee mornings and lunches are opening up in locals churches and community cafes all around the Bay.
Why not pop in for a coffee and a chat, or lunch and a game of bingo at your community café, run by Ellacombe Community Partnership?
The cafe is open Tuesday to Friday from 10.30 am to 2pm at Torbay Community Development Trust in Temperance Street TQ2 5PU - just behind McDonalds.
Fancy a fun-filled spooky weekend? Join Torquay Museum on October 30 for a Witches and Wizards Halloween Day, or hunt for pumpkins at Kents Cavern.
Get moving with Torquay seafront walkers, meeting every Monday from November 1 at Torre Abbey Tea Rooms at 10.30am to begin a leisurely stroll along our beautiful seafront.
From veterans lunches to knit 'n' natter; 'Move it or Lose it' exercise classes to fun football, check out Torbay Together website for the latest community-lead activities - https://torbaytogether.org.uk/activities/service
Please feel free to call me on 07931 567 885 and I will be happy to chat about what’s going on in your area and/ or help you get something started.
Let's get together and make magic happen, of course remembering to follow social distancing guidelines and wear a mask if you're able.