Hub offers support for Torbay’s most vulnerable residents
- Credit: Getty Images
People who are advised to stay in their homes to protect themselves (shield) during the pandemic are urged to contact Torbay’s Shielding Hub for extra support if in need.
The hub is already supporting many of the 6,500 residents in the Bay identified by the NHS as ‘clinically extremely vulnerable’ and so needing to shield.
Food parcels and other essential supplies, wellbeing checks and healthy lifestyle advice are just some of the support that is offered to Torbay’s most vulnerable residents, who have again been advised to shield at home.
Councillor Steve Darling, leader of Torbay Council, said: “As current lockdown measures continue, we are reminding residents that our support for those most in need continues too.
"As well as practical things such as providing essential supplies, the Shielding Hub can also advise on mental health and loneliness – which can be significant concerns for those having to shield.”
Councillor Jackie Stockman, Cabinet member for adults and public health, said: “The Shielding Hub is one of many ways the council, our local NHS and community organisations are working together to support residents during the pandemic.
"It provides essential support for those particularly vulnerable to Covid and I urge anyone who is shielding to get in touch if they need extra help.”
- 1 Show is world’s largest gathering of more than 3,000 iconic classic and vintage cars and motorbikes
- 2 Midweek shocks in the National League
- 3 Probus Club 'home' at last to hear about ghosts, gallows and 'Big Foot'
- 4 Property of the Week: Simply striking family home in semi-rural setting
- 5 Sinclair's special start on community day
- 6 Norrms McNamara: All care staff need to be trained in dementia
- 7 All go at Rotary club with new president, vaccines, golf and a chicken run!
- 8 Indoor bowls: 'A' team win all four rinks
- 9 Junior anglers take the fishing limelight
- 10 Gig racing: Brixham hosts Cornish Pilot Gig Association's veterans' championships
The guidance for people who are identified as clinically extremely vulnerable is to not go out to work but to stay at home except for medical appointments, exercise, or essential visits.
If you are a clinically extremely vulnerable individual, or you are caring for someone who is and you have any concerns call the Shielding Hub team at Torbay Council on 01803 207777.
The Torbay Shielding Hub is led by the council and supported by both Torbay and South Devon NHS Foundation Trust and the voluntary sector.