Strictly star Louis Smith congratulates Paignton slimmer on weight loss
- Credit: Archant
A Paignton teenager has a new-found spring in her step after losing 6st 4.5lbs to reach the finals of a national slimming competition where she met Olympian and Strictly Come Dancing winner Louis Smith.
Megan Randle, 19, made the final 25 in Slimming World's Young Slimmer of the Year 2020 competition, out of all the 16-to-21 year olds who attend Slimming World across the UK and Ireland.
Megan, whoa member of the Paignton Slimming World group, said: 'I knew my weight was an issue, and I was starting to become increasingly unhappy. I would feel uncomfortable in my clothes and I'd started to make excuses not to go out with my friends because I often felt self-conscious.
'I was nervous at the thought of joining Slimming World at first because I thought that people might judge me for being overweight at such a young age. I soon realised how wrong I was though. Everyone at my group is amazing and they've all been so supportive of me – no matter what their age.
'My friends and family are really proud of what I've achieved – and I'm feeling quite proud of myself too actually. I am doing things now that before I lost weight I didn't think were possible. I'm able to join in with the children at the school I work at, and I have started to simply believe in myself again.'
Megan has slimmed from 18st 10.5lbs to 12st 6lbs and as a result of her incredible achievement, her fellow members in the Paignton group voted for her to represent them in the Young Slimmer of the Year 2020 finals, which were held at Slimming World's head office in Derbyshire in early March.
Maria Holmes, who runs the Paignton Slimming World group which Megan attends, said: 'I'm so proud of Megan. What she's achieved is so much more than just losing weight. I've had the pleasure of watching Megan grow in confidence each week.
- 1 Probus Club 'home' at last to hear about ghosts, gallows and 'Big Foot'
- 2 There may be no carnival again - but that won't dampen spirits as Christmas plans are unveiled
- 3 Sinclair's special start on community day
- 4 Athletics: Busy and successful weeks on racing calendar
- 5 Feline Network Cat Rescue: Can you offer a home to a golden oldie?
- 6 Junior anglers take the fishing limelight
- 7 Securing future of Pavilion takes step forward
- 8 Gig racing: Brixham hosts Cornish Pilot Gig Association's veterans' championships
- 9 Fostering - why not consider a vocation that makes a real difference?
- 10 John 'flabbergasted' as he is shortlisted for top award
'Since our Young Slimmer of the Year competition took place, Slimming World made the difficult decision to temporarily suspend groups in order to keep its members safe during the ongoing pandemic. However, I'm keeping my members supported via a virtual group. ANyone who would like to find out more about Slimming World or join my virtual group can call me on 07946 083 363.'