Chance to own signal box - for £54,000
- Credit: Paul Fosh Auctions
Yours for £54,000 – a railway signal box!
The Grade II listed former box at Great Western Railway’s Torre Station is back on the market and being auctioned for sale.
The unique three floor, rectangular brick and glass fronted signal box dates back to when the railway station opened in 1848, and has retained many of its historical features such as signal levers and the signalman's armchair.
It is being offered for sale through Paul Fosh Auctions and has planning permission to be converted into a holiday home.
Sean Roper, of Paul Fosh Auctions, said: "We've had a great deal of interest from rail enthusiasts and also from local people for the former signal box.
"The top floor of the property is even equipped with all its now, non-functioning rows of ancient signal levers and handles and a signalman's armchair.
"The top floor signal room has a cast iron, pot-bellied coal fed stove dating from the age of steam, wood panelling and high ceilings and is flooded with light from the panoramic windows.
- 1 For our 'rock' as much as anybody, everything is crossed for promotion
- 2 Emotional day that revealed close-knit family behind monarchy
- 3 Spacious and flexible accommodation has been improved, updated, and extended
- 4 Plans unveiled to demolish Torquay Debenhams store
- 5 Dramatic bovine rescue from Torbay waters
- 6 Prince Philip's final resting place will be in tiny chapel
- 7 National League round-up
- 8 An ideal family home or investment purchase
- 9 All aboard the Land train for lots of fun - and a history lesson or two!
- 10 I hope formality is put aside and the Queen is able to grieve for Prince Philip
"What makes this of particular interest is that the railway line to the English Riviera at Torquay is still very much in use both by tourists, commuters and by school children.”
He added: “We've built up a fair reputation for having individual, quirky lots at our auctions among the more traditional properties and this is most certainly among the most unusual we've offered over the years.
"I'd say the property would be just perfect for the avid train spotter or perhaps a holiday home owner who wants to be able to go on a weekend away and simply step from the train and be at home.
“The signal box is within walking distance of Torquay's beach and attractions. It really is a wonderful opportunity for those who prefer something a little bit different."
The accommodation comprises three floors with proposed plans to have a snug ground floor living area, first floor bedroom with en-suite and the third floor, having an open plan dining room and kitchen.
The former signal box will be auctioned online sale online between Tuesday, February 2, and Thursday, February 4.