Shielding buddies offer support to vulnerable residents
- Credit: Archant
Community builders and volunteers working with Ageing Well Torbay have been providing a buddy system for people who have been shielding through the Covid crisis and now taking their first tentative steps outside.
The buddy system concept allows those who have been shielding or feeling vulnerable through the pandemic to be accompanied if they want to go to the shops, visit a tourist attraction or simply go for a walk in the open air.
Bright yellow lanyards have also been provided for those who want to continue to social distance.
In addition to the buddy system, a number of attractions are offering specialist sessions for vulnerable visitors. These include Kents Cavern, Cockington Court, Torre Abbey, Torbay Coast and Countryside Trust, the Artizan Gallery and Reach Outdoors.
The buddy system is operating:
In Torquay - Our Space at the Acorn Centre, Lummaton Cross, Wednesdays 2pm to 4pm; Steps Cross, off Teignmouth Road, Thursdays 10am to midday; Cricketfield Community Garden, Cricketfield Road, Fridays 10am to midday; Tessier Gardens - adults only - Lindridge Road, adjacent to Furrough Cross Church, Tuesdays 10.30am to 12.30pm and Thursday 1pm to 3pm; Kitson Park, Cadewell Lane, Tuesdays 11am to midday; Brewery Park (top), Lower Ellacombe Church Road, Mondays 2pm to 4pm and Thursdays 10am to midday; Millennium Copse, between Chilcote Close and Rowley Road, St Marychurch – Wednesday 11am to 1pm.
In Paignton - Preston Gardens, Torquay Road, Tuesdays 10.30am to 12.30pm; Hollicombe Park, Thursdays 2pm to 4pm; Young's Park near the bandstand, Goodrington, Tuesdays 11am to 1pm; Palace Avenue Gardens, Wednesdays 10.30am to 12.30pm; St Michael's Field (with play park), St Michael's Road, Mondays 2pm to 4pm; Stanley Gardens (with play park), Thursdays 2pm to 4pm; Primley Park (with play park), off Totnes Road, Fridays 11am to 1pm.
- 1 Torquay solicitors win Law Firm of Year award
- 2 Family 'overwhelmed' by tributes after death of rugby and port legend Bern
- 3 New loan signing for United
- 4 Torbay Business Forum pair nominated for national awards
- 5 John 'flabbergasted' as he is shortlisted for top award
- 6 Death of former Gulls winger Tony Scott in Australia
- 7 Cricket: All-rounder Craig Eaves returns to Brixham with eye on overdue promotion
- 8 United 'Community Day' to unite Bay - and there are 1,000 free tickets
- 9 Torbay builders merchant calling out to charities
- 10 New travel agency promises 'booking process as exciting as holiday itself'
In Brixham - Bonsey Gardens, off North Furzeham Road, Mondays 2pm to 4pm; St Mary's Park (with play park), Thursdays 10am to midday; Shoalstone picnic area, Tuesdays 10am to midday.