Mixing old with new - primary school takes shape in Paignton
- Credit: Pic: Submitted
A new primary school in Paignton is taking shape - mixing new with old.
The St Michael’s Church of England Academy, which is part of the Learning Academy Partnership and will open to nursery and reception pupils in September, was once the home of the former Tower House School.
Midas Construction are currently restoring some of the beautiful period features of the old building.
Torbay MP Kevin Foster saw for himself the work going on during a recent visit to the Fisher Street site.
He said: ""It was great to see work underway on this major investment in providing more opportunities for Paignton's next generation. Not only is it welcome to see a building with such history of providing education being retained as a school, but this time will be available to all."
Mr Foster met with Mrs Edwards, the newly appointed Head of St Michael’s, Mrs Atkinson, Chief Executive of the Learning Academy Partnership and Mrs Barnett, Chief Operating Officer of the Learning Academy Partnership.
St Michael's will be the Partnership’s 10th school.
- 1 Charlton await United - if Gulls can win FA Cup replay
- 2 Johnson on FA Cup result: 'Havant deserved something out of game'
- 3 United 'Community Day' to unite Bay - and there are 1,000 free tickets
- 4 Picture special: Torbay buses
- 5 Retro Sport with Roger Mann: An ambition which money just can't buy!
- 6 'Mixed' bag for Torbay teams as basketball season opens
- 7 A harvest of hope at Pollinator Patch
- 8 Torquay settle for replay after Hawks threw everything at them in dying moments
- 9 September new registrations fall - fuelled by shortages
- 10 This sorry saga was always going to end in tears - but we need the horses and what about the Proms?
The MP's visit was an opportunity to show the potential of the building with the amount of space it will offer for both educational and community purposes, as well as the high quality provision the new academy will give to families.
Incoming Head Mrs Edwards is currently the Head of All Saints Marsh Church of England Academy, another of the Trust's schools, and will bring over 20 years teaching experience to St Michael’s, as well as expertise as an Early Years Specialist Leader in Education, having supported Early Years provision in schools and nurseries across the South West.
Mrs Edwards said: "We are delighted to have been able to welcome Mr Foster to St Michael’s, and to demonstrate to him all the brilliant hard work that is taking place in preparation for the new school. We are looking forward to welcoming him back when the academy is open to pupils, so that he can see what it has all been working towards!”
Mrs Atkinson said: "We are excited to become a part of the community here in Paignton.”