Mixing old with new - primary school takes shape in Paignton
- Credit: Pic: Submitted
A new primary school in Paignton is taking shape - mixing new with old.
The St Michael’s Church of England Academy, which is part of the Learning Academy Partnership and will open to nursery and reception pupils in September, was once the home of the former Tower House School.
Midas Construction are currently restoring some of the beautiful period features of the old building.
Torbay MP Kevin Foster saw for himself the work going on during a recent visit to the Fisher Street site.
He said: ""It was great to see work underway on this major investment in providing more opportunities for Paignton's next generation. Not only is it welcome to see a building with such history of providing education being retained as a school, but this time will be available to all."
Mr Foster met with Mrs Edwards, the newly appointed Head of St Michael’s, Mrs Atkinson, Chief Executive of the Learning Academy Partnership and Mrs Barnett, Chief Operating Officer of the Learning Academy Partnership.
St Michael's will be the Partnership’s 10th school.
- 1 Relentless from Torquay United
- 2 Rowers - and Mr Portillo - in bid to go round world in 80 days and raise money for Rowcroft
- 3 For our 'rock' as much as anybody, everything is crossed for promotion
- 4 Woking 0 Torquay United 2
- 5 Absolutely ridiculous and selfish
- 6 United visit Woking tonight
- 7 Prince Philip's final resting place will be in tiny chapel
- 8 Overseas players set to boost clubs' promotion bids
- 9 Herbert Whitley fulfilled earlier vision of a zoo when opening Paignton Zoological and Botanical Gardens
- 10 Picture special: Memories of visits to Torbay and South Devon
The MP's visit was an opportunity to show the potential of the building with the amount of space it will offer for both educational and community purposes, as well as the high quality provision the new academy will give to families.
Incoming Head Mrs Edwards is currently the Head of All Saints Marsh Church of England Academy, another of the Trust's schools, and will bring over 20 years teaching experience to St Michael’s, as well as expertise as an Early Years Specialist Leader in Education, having supported Early Years provision in schools and nurseries across the South West.
Mrs Edwards said: "We are delighted to have been able to welcome Mr Foster to St Michael’s, and to demonstrate to him all the brilliant hard work that is taking place in preparation for the new school. We are looking forward to welcoming him back when the academy is open to pupils, so that he can see what it has all been working towards!”
Mrs Atkinson said: "We are excited to become a part of the community here in Paignton.”