Your chance to get up and running towards new life
- Credit: Submitted
A Torbay club is offering residents the chance to get up and running - towards healthier and happier lifestyles.
Up and Running Torbay are offering a new beginners course after a summer of busy outdoors activity.
They want to help people get more active and to improve their physical and mental well-being in a friendly, encouraging environment.
A spokesman said: "The totally inclusive, non-competitive running and well-being club prides itself on providing an encouraging and supportive environment. It is about people coming together to enjoy getting fit, make new friends and have a social run.
"Every runner is encouraged to run at their own pace. If you have always fancied trying something new, or would like to give running a go but don’t think you can do it or can’t motivate yourself to do it on your own, or just fancy getting out in the fresh air and getting active and fitter then our courses are ideal for you.
"This is a well-structured supportive course. Slow progression from walking to running. Once the course is completed you will to be able to run (at your pace) a 5K."
One runner said: “This amazing running club has been a lifeline during these miserable times”
The club is offering a free daytime course prioritising over 55’s due to start on Thursday September 23 at 9.30am. If you are interested, email email@example.com and express your interest, and the club will get back to you with further details.
Over the summer, beginners’ course runners have gone on to take part in the weekly parkrun and/or continued their running within the weekly club.
- 1 £1million grants to give Bay new housing boost
- 2 United 'Community Day' to unite Bay - and there are 1,000 free tickets
- 3 Underdog mindset for the Gulls
- 4 Ticket price offer for Torquay United's FA Cup tie
- 5 This sorry saga was always going to end in tears - but we need the horses and what about the Proms?
- 6 MP Anthony Mangnall: I've a new-found appreciation for hard work of our fishermen
- 7 Turning our season around
- 8 Torquay settle for replay after Hawks threw everything at them in dying moments
- 9 Aldi, KFC and Costa Coffee plan approved for 'Gateway to Torquay'
- 10 Stoppage-time goal books Torquay United under-18s a place in FA Youth Cup first round
The club spokesman said: "We offer a variety of groups, of different paces and mileage, all with a qualified Run Leader. We mix up the groups so runners are well matched with different routes each week. All our members are supportive, friendly and appreciate the respite that the club can provide from the daily stresses for a few hours a week."