Rowcroft fundraiser aims for the skies with bank holiday wing-walk
- Credit: Archant
Cancer survivor Heather Smith is planning probably the bravest fundraising attempt for Rowcroft Hospice - a wing-walk across the South Devon skies.
Heather, from Preston, is, in her own words, 'the wrong side of 60', and yet she will celebrate the August bank holiday by taking on a wing-walk.
Heather said: 'It is a long story that started around 20 years ago, when I was diagnosed with a type of cancer that was inoperable when found.'
'I had treatment at Torbay and Bristol hospitals, and I am obviously still alive and kicking now.
'I wanted to take on a wing-walk to say thank you but, at that time, it was not permitted for a sponsorship project.
'When I saw Rowcroft appealing for volunteers to step up as 'Hospice Heroes' and a wing-walk was on the list, I thought now was the time to support such a valuable cause.
'I will be strapped to a plane that takes off from Dunkeswell. I am scared and have no idea how high we will go, but it is something I have always wanted to do.
- 1 Gary's respect for Martyn Rogers
- 2 Retro Sport: Tracking Plainmoor heroes of the 1950s
- 3 It's taken a generation but it is definitely now Paignton's turn
- 4 Jim Parker: Now is the Time for action after Chief Constable's revealing walkabout
- 5 Laura will use Equity role to change attitudes about regional theatre
- 6 Argyle sharpness defeats United
- 7 Regency-style terrace was leased to the rich and famous
- 8 United heading into the future
- 9 Pre-season fundraiser in memory of footballers Kyle and Hayden
- 10 Busy time in the transfer market
'The walk will be on Monday and, while I am a little nervous, Rowcroft is so important. They looked after my aunt in her last few days and also a friend of mine spent her last days at Rowcroft, which has inspired me for the challenge.
'I have lived in Torbay all my life, attending Barton School and then Torquay Girls' Grammar. When I leave home on Monday, I'm sure the main thought will be 'oh my God, what have I done' but I know it will be worth it.'
To support Heather, log on to JustGiving.com, search for Heather Smith and you will find Heather Smith's Wing-Walk. Alternatively, there are collection tins in stores across the Bay.