Regeneration plans for eyesore Paignton site move forward
- Credit: Archant
Plans to rejuvenate a dilapidated, old retail site in Torbay with new affordable and extra care homes and commercial space are moving forward – and residents will get the chance to have their say on the plans.
Following requests from residents to do something with the site, Torbay Council agreed in September 2019 to buy the Crossways site in Paignton.
A planning application will be submitted soon for 90 extra care and sheltered affordable housing units for local people, with commercial space retained on the ground floor for businesses.
Extra care housing is also known as assisted living and residents will have their own self-contained flats but with staff available to provide personal care and support services.
Cllr Steve Darling, leader of Torbay Council, said: 'I am absolutely delighted that we are able to move this project forward.'
Cllr Swithin Long, Cabinet member for economic regeneration, tourism and housing for Torbay Council, said: 'We are really excited to be able to make progress on these plans which will provide a much needed boost to this area of Paignton by developing the land as an attractive retail, residential and employment space.'
Deputy leader Cllr Darren Cowell said: 'It is the perfect location for the extra care housing because the site is close to a range of facilities and has good public transport links. The new accommodation will also provide additional footfall in the town centre.'
- 1 There may be no carnival again - but that won't dampen spirits as Christmas plans are unveiled
- 2 Sinclair's special start on community day
- 3 Cyclists off to Scotland in support of 'super vet' star
- 4 Rowing: Excellent conditions for river Dart racing
- 5 Sally Allen: When is a woman not a woman?
- 6 Basketball: Torbay Tigers back to winning ways
- 7 Torquay United 2 King's Lynn Town 0
- 8 Securing future of Pavilion takes step forward
- 9 Gulls boss Gary Johnson: Homegrown duo 'in my future plans'
- 10 Retro Sport: Lottery winner's cricket ambition that money couldn't buy
The plans will be on display in the reception area of Paignton Library.