Company believes that looking after your staff is simply Paramount!
- Credit: Submitted
A South Devon company believes in investing in its people - especially in their pay packets.
Food manufacturer Paramount 21 is increasing wages for workers at its site at Heathfield Newton Abbot, by paying the real Living Wage, the only rate designed to meet the true cost of living.
The family-owned company is now an accredited Living Wage Employer. The real Living Wage, currently £9.50 per hour, is significantly higher than the government minimum for over 23s, which currently stands at £8.91 per hour.
In the South West, over a fifth of all jobs (20 per cent) pay less than the real Living Wage - around 456,000 jobs.
This change comes after a challenging 18 months for Paramount, who produce seafood, vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free food. Whilst UK hospitality remains a key market for Paramount’s products, the Coronavirus pandemic has led the business to diversify, resulting in several large contracts with major supermarkets and brands, and expanding export activities in European and global markets.
Paramount is also expanding its production capabilities to match the increase in demand, and have £650,000 of capital expenditure planned this year.
Paramount’s Founder and Chairman Ali Hannaford said: "It has always been of paramount importance to me and my team that each and every member of staff feel valued. The pandemic has shown everyone how volatile business and life can be, and the way we all pulled together through the most challenging of times was truly heart-warming. Paramount’s Board have been discussing this for some time, but felt that now was the right time. A big thank you to everyone for all of their hard-work and continued efforts. We really do have a very special team."
- 1 Family 'overwhelmed' by tributes after death of rugby and port legend Bern
- 2 Torquay solicitors win Law Firm of Year award
- 3 New loan signing for United
- 4 Torbay Business Forum pair nominated for national awards
- 5 John 'flabbergasted' as he is shortlisted for top award
- 6 Death of former Gulls winger Tony Scott in Australia
- 7 Cricket: All-rounder Craig Eaves returns to Brixham with eye on overdue promotion
- 8 New travel agency promises 'booking process as exciting as holiday itself'
- 9 Overwhelming success of ‘Torbay Needs You’ campaign
- 10 United 'Community Day' to unite Bay - and there are 1,000 free tickets
Laura Gardiner, Director, Living Wage Foundation said: “We’re delighted that Paramount has joined the movement of over 7,000 responsible employers across the UK who voluntarily commit to go further than the government minimum to make sure all their staff earn enough to live on.”
Paramount are currently recruiting for food production staff in both full and part time roles, with flexible shift patterns available. For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01626 837 650.