Ramblers raising cash for Torbay Hospital League of Friends
- Credit: Archant
A group of local ramblers have decided to let their feet do the walking in aid of Torbay Hospital League of Friends (LoF) which is raising money for a planned new emergency department on the site.
The LoF is campaigning to raise £1.5 million for equipment for the new daepartment which is to be built at a cost of £13 million.
The group will follow the coastal path from Torquay harbourside to Brixham Harbour – a distance of about eight-and-a-half miles on Monday, September 7.
The walk is the brainchild of Street Pastor Bill Becher and his wife Maralyn, who are both keen walkers with a long affiliation with the South Devon Ramblers.
Bill said: 'We were inspired by the example of Reverend Jerry Cook – known as the 'Rambling Rev'- and his sponsored walks for local causes.
'And with the NHS very much in the spotlight, we felt the time was right for a fundraiser in aid of the Torbay Hospital League of Friends.'
He added: 'We both worked at Torbay Hospital when we were first married. I am a volunteer on the Torbay Hospital chaplaincy team and a Torbay Street Pastor.
- 1 First friendly for Torquay United
- 2 Hard-fought affair as Barton win derby
- 3 £15,000 'compensation' as Nemane leaves Torquay United
- 4 South West boasts 'naturally inspiring' crime rates
- 5 Dead head and you'll have chocolate-scented flowers until autumn
- 6 Nemane to Notts
- 7 Spectacular views from Buccaneer's Way walk
- 8 Celebrating the power and strength of local community
- 9 Pro deals for United Academy stars
- 10 Famous Redcliffe Hotel sold for £4.5 million
'We have asked a few friends and walking enthusiasts to join us on Monday, September 7.'
To donate online, go to www.thlof.co.uk and click on 'donate now' (there will be a message box where you can mention the walk), or you may donate via any of the walkers: Bill and Maralyn Becher, the Rev. Jerry Cook, Mark Pool, Pastor Tim Smith, Sarah Doman, Ian Cawley, and Lee Bray.