Queen’s Birthday Honour for fishing industry leader Jim
- Credit: Archant
Fishing industry leader Jim Portus has been awarded the MBE for services to fishing industry in the Queen’s Birthday Honours.
Jim, chief executive of the South Western Fish Producers Organisation for more than 30 years, has spent decades fighting for the rights of fishermen.
He said: “I am completely honoured to have been awarded MBE in Her Majesty’s 2020 birthday honours for services to the fishing industry.
“It’s an industry I love and the support I’ve had from the wonderful people I work for has been immeasurable, so this is their recognition too.
“I’m sure that my joy in fundraising for the Fishermen’s Mission is part of the reason for this honour.
“Their work is my inspiration.
“My thanks go to the unknown people who nominated me and, of course, to my wife Margaret, who has been steadfast at my side all along the way and the years.”
- 1 Jim Parker: Now is the Time for action after Chief Constable's revealing walkabout
- 2 United heading into the future
- 3 Torquay United 0 Argyle 3
- 4 Money talks in professional football - but it can't buy success
- 5 No packed lunches but six weeks of bad weather!
- 6 Praise for Sonny after he plays key role in senior debut for Somerset
- 7 £900,000 state-of-art gym signals start of new era at RIC
- 8 It's taken a generation but it is definitely now Paignton's turn
- 9 Princess curtain to rise after 509 days in the darkness
- 10 The secret of replacing those cherished hugs that mean so much
Jim has raised thousand of pounds for the Fishermen’s Mission and has run 23 marathons, four of which he carried a Save Britain’s Fish flag.
He was also heavily involved in organising the hugely successful Fishstock festival in Brixham.
Over the years he has raised £106,000.00 for fishing communities.
He is also dedicated to securing the future of the UK’s fishing industry.
Before joining the SWFPO, he had been a captain in the Merchant Navy before working as a fisheries officer for the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food.