Dad saves family by running sinking boat into rocks at Torquay
- Credit: Archant
A father has been praised for saving his family after their boat started sinking off Torbay.
He ran the 24ft vessel aground on rocks at Torquay allowing his family including a baby and three other children to get to safety.
The family was then rescued by lifeboats and taken ashore.
The man managed to sink the boat near the natural feature on the coast known as London Bridge.
A total of six people were reported to have been rescued in the incident on Tuesday afternoon.
RNLI Torbay coxswain Mark Criddle said: 'This man did absolutely the right thing in running their boat onto the rocks where they all managed to scramble to safety.
'We launched both RNLI Torbay lifeboats to the scene because their position was unsure and we knew we had to find them quickly.
- 1 Can you help free the Rowcroft Six - or shall we let them stay where they are?
- 2 Exeter Chiefs replace Native-American brand with nod to Devon's history
- 3 New singers welcome as Torbay Gilbert and Sullivan Society start The Mikado rehearsals
- 4 Unlocking the genetic secrets of Kents Cavern’s Ice Age horses
- 5 Lift off for Air Show but what about Red Arrows?
- 6 Teams work round clock to dismantle old railway bridge
- 7 Frying high after 40 years - and raising thousands for charity
- 8 Johnson promised cash to 'build bigger, stronger squad'
- 9 From trawler to plate in a day - chef Mitch Tonks bringing Brixham fish straight to customers' doors
- 10 Green Spaces: A place to grow for Torbay trees
'When we arrived on scene our volunteers ferried the young children one by one to the safety of our all-weather lifeboat, followed by the adults.
'The family were distressed but otherwise unharmed although their vessel could not be saved. This man's quick thinking saved his family's life.'
Two boats from the Torbay Harbour Authority went to the scene to recover debris and disperse spilled fuel.
A light diesel slick 25m by 150m was reported to be spreading from the vessel, reported to be a former commercial fishing boat called Sea Breeze.
The boat was due to be recovered yesterday by a contractor called in by the harbour authority.
The Torbay Council team was also issuing a Notice to Mariners to warn them of the hazard from the sunken boat.