Plea to use right NHS services this bank holiday weekend
- Credit: Archant
Doctors in Torbay are reassuring local people that the NHS is still there for them if they are unwell and need help, but reminding them that opening hours for some services may be different due to the bank holiday weekend.
GP practices will be closed on Monday, May 25, for the bank holiday but other services are available for people with urgent health needs over the holiday period.
The advice for people this weekend is:
• if you have need urgent advice and aren't sure where to go, visit 111 online or phone 111
• a selection of pharmacies across Devon will be open on the Bank Holiday. Pharmacy opening hours are available on the NHS website
• GP practices will open again on Tuesday, May 26. For non-urgent requests, submit an eConsult on your GP practice website and they will pick it up when they open again after the bank holiday
• download the NHS App for advice, to order repeat prescriptions, or make appointments
- 1 Show is world’s largest gathering of more than 3,000 iconic classic and vintage cars and motorbikes
- 2 Midweek shocks in the National League
- 3 Probus Club 'home' at last to hear about ghosts, gallows and 'Big Foot'
- 4 Property of the Week: Simply striking family home in semi-rural setting
- 5 Sinclair's special start on community day
- 6 Norrms McNamara: All care staff need to be trained in dementia
- 7 All go at Rotary club with new president, vaccines, golf and a chicken run!
- 8 Indoor bowls: 'A' team win all four rinks
- 9 Junior anglers take the fishing limelight
- 10 Gig racing: Brixham hosts Cornish Pilot Gig Association's veterans' championships
• the HANDI paediatric app is available for parents to use when their children are ill
• A&E is open 24 hours for serious and life-threatening injury or illness.
Dr Paul Johnson, a Devon GP and clinical chairman of NHS Devon Clinical Commissioning Group, said: 'We are coming up to a bank holiday – the first since relaxation of the rules that now allow us to get out into the open air to enjoy Torbay and South Devon's coast and country. Please take care if you are headed outdoors this weekend, whatever you are doing.
'Maintaining people's safety is our paramount concern. When accessing local facilities, please follow any measures put in place to support social distancing and wash your hands frequently.
'We are following national guidance about reducing unnecessary face-to-face contact, and this includes within healthcare settings.
'If you need to be seen by a healthcare professional, your consultation may be via phone, video or in person. If you are advised that you need to be seen, you may be directed to a minor injuries unit or A&E and measures are in place to keep you safe.'