Parking ban outside homes 'on hold' says councillor

New Park Road, Paignton

New Park Road, Paignton - Credit: Google Maps

A councillor says plans to ban parking outside homes in Paignton have been put on hold after she raised concerns.

Cllr Jackie Thomas said she had been told a new public consultation would be carried out for proposed parking restrictions in Foxhole.

The Conservative councillor for Kings Ash asked for a rethink of the proposed traffic regulation order because no-one responded to the first consultation in November.

Pimm Road, Paignton

Pimm Road, Paignton - Credit: Google Maps

She highlighted concerns about plans to put double yellow lines outside homes in Pimm Road and New Park Road, as part of a series of restrictions to improve visibility and traffic flow.

The councillor put forward an urgent question about the plans to a meeting of the council on Thursday, February 4, but it was deferred to a meeting three weeks later.

Cllr Thomas said that after raising the issue, she had been told that the plans had been put on hold and a new consultation would be carried out.

The councillor has urged any residents who want to comment on the order to get in touch directly with her.

Most Read

She said: “I have been told the order is on hold now. I understand that is pending further consultation.

“It just gives the residents an opportunity now to offer their views.”

Cllr Thomas said earlier that people accepted the need for restrictions at corners and junctions for safety reasons, but banning parking in whole streets outside homes would have a knock-on effect, with people forced to park farther away in nearby roads.

The councillor said she understood the parking ban in New Park Road and Pimm Road was to allow access for waste lorries. She suggested a possible compromise to bring in restrictions on collection day, rather than seven days a week.

A proposed traffic regulation order setting out the plans for parking restrictions on the estate was advertised in the local press on November 11, 2020, with a three-week period of public consultation.

It followed plans for a new 20mph speed limit in the area.

Cllr Thomas said she discovered later that there had been no public comments about the proposals, which showed the consultation had been flawed due to being carried out while lockdown restrictions were in place.

The councillor said people had complained that workers returning home late would have to walk a considerable distance in the dark, and the restrictions would cause difficulties for the elderly and disabled.

A council spokesperson declined to provide further information on Monday when asked about the status of the traffic order. They said: “We will be issuing further communications on the matter in due course.”

Cllr Margaret Douglas-Dunbar, the mayor of Torbay and chair of the council, said earlier: “Any urgent questions have to be accepted as being urgent by the civic mayor in accordance with the council’s constitution.

“Cllr Thomas has been notified that her question will be deferred to the Council meeting being held on 25 February.”

The roads included in the traffic order are: Ailescombe Road, Barton Avenue, Belfield Road, Colley End Road, Fernicombe Road, Foxhole Road, Hoyles Road, Kerria Close, Kings Ash Road, Langridge Road, New Park Road, Pembroke Road, Pimm Road, Ramshill Road, Redwell Lane, Redwell Road, Smallcombe Road, Spruce Way, Underidge Road, Whitebeam Close.