Paignton Zoo may be given go-ahead to re-open - but it is not ready
Paignton Zoo may be given go-ahead to re-open after shutdown
Paignton Zoo was hoping to be given the go-ahead to reopen - but it is not ready to do so on Monday, the expected date to be announced.
At the time of going to press, speculation was mounting that Prime Minister Boris Johnson was announcing zoos and safari parks will be allowed to reopen, possibly on Monday, June 15.
But when it was forced to close in March, the zoo furloughed staff. Working towards the original July 4 date given for re-opening, the zoo have not had the staff working in order to the get ready to open earlier than expected.
When the zoo does open it will fit in with Torbay's message that the English Riviera will be a Responsible Riviera if the local tourism industry generally is allowed to reopen on July 4.
Responsible Riviera – pages 6-7
- 1 Torquay United 2 King's Lynn Town 0
- 2 Gulls boss Gary Johnson: Homegrown duo 'in my future plans'
- 3 Rowing: Excellent conditions for river Dart racing
- 4 Defensive duties at Torquay United
- 5 Let's get together - reconnecting with people is food for the soul
- 6 Dr Peter Moore: I don't need an app giving me a 'medal' for brushing my teeth properly!
- 7 War veteran wins Brixham Lottery - with cards bought for his 105th birthday
- 8 Keith Perry: Family-friendly ramble around park that's home to variety of wildlife
- 9 Bid to rid town of Crossways eyesore takes giant leap forward
- 10 Torquay solicitors win Law Firm of Year award