Paignton Lions gift food to Bay breakfast kits - and thank sponsors of fun day
- Credit: Paignton Lions Club
Members of Paignton Lions Club have donated food items worth £200 towards Feed A Child Torbay's breakfast kits.
Catherine Fritz from Feed a Child Torbay and Lion John Atyeo are pictured at the presentation. Also present were Lion Alan Tozer and Lesley Perrin from Feed a Child.
Lesley Perrin, chair of Feed a Child Torbay, said: "Paignton Lions Club's gift means so much to Feed A Child Torbay, to our staff - all volunteers - to the schools we support and, most importantly, to the children and families who benefit.
"Feed A Child Torbay rely entirely on donations of money and food, as we have done since our beginnings in 2017.
"Donations like this have been enough for us to carry on and to grow slowly, serving more schools.
"No one wants children to go hungry. Our main aim is to help compensate for the lack of free school meals in the school holidays. We operate through the schools and rely on school staff – who know the families and their needs – to tell us how many families require support.
"We provide meal kits to the schools, and they distribute them to the families. We currently support 21 of the 31 primary schools and eight Early Years providers in Torbay.
- 1 How we can cope with the Enemy Within
- 2 Devon beaches producing a healthy catch
- 3 Johnson looking to turn around the "mess"
- 4 Norrms McNamara: Ten-second delay...
- 5 Jim Parker: Top fashion store Maggie & Co closes doors after 48 years - but 'we leave on a high'
- 6 Part Two of the famous Gents bus and Beacon Down becomes Broken Down!
- 7 Torbay's green spaces go wild
- 8 Picture special: Sunrise in Torquay
- 9 Extended semi-detached house offers scope for annexe
- 10 Driving home for Christmas - but plan ahead to minimise problems
"Since the beginning of the coronavirus crisis, we also provide schools, social prescribers, and other agencies with 'emergency' meal kits so that when they refer a family to foodbanks and/or other services, they can also provide them with food for a meal immediately.
"Working with Torbay Council, we also provide meal packs to children who have been excluded from school who would otherwise receive free school meals.
"Thanks to help like Paignton Lions Club's, FACT provided over 8,000 meal kits and 50-plus breakfast kits during the 2020-2021 school year, including the summer holiday."
Meanwhile, the Lions presented an appreciation certificate to Ridgewater Estate Agents for their sponsorship of the Lions Fun Day at Youngs Park in Paignton.
Lion Alan Tozer and president Malcolm Stone are pictured with Neil Tozer and his wife Jennifer Tozer from Ridgewater Estate Agents.