Group delivering food to families in Torbay deserve Our Heroes accolade
- Credit: Archant
An organisation which has been delivering food to hundreds of families in Torbay during lockdown has been nominated for a Our Heroes award
An organisation has been making sure hundreds of families in Torbay don't go hungry during the current crisis.
Now community interest company Re4orm and the people who help provide the food have been nominated for the Torbay Weekly 'Our Heroes' campaign.
The initiative aims to pay tribute to all those who are going out of their way to help others.
Re4orm, led by Torbay Weekly columnist Katie Cavanna and supported by a string of businesses including the Below Decks restaurant on Torquay harbourside and the Mr and Mrs Jones Deli in Wellswood and a small army of volunteers, have been nominated by Claudine Brookman.
She says: 'I came to Torquay from Switzerland in 1970 to learn English.
'For nearly 20 years I was involved in the supply of fruit and vegetable to many hotels and catering establishments. I have been lunching at Below Decks and Mr and Mrs Jones for several years now.
- 1 Jim Parker: Now is the Time for action after Chief Constable's revealing walkabout
- 2 United heading into the future
- 3 Money talks in professional football - but it can't buy success
- 4 Princess curtain to rise after 509 days in the darkness
- 5 No packed lunches but six weeks of bad weather!
- 6 Majestic opportunities for a new career choice
- 7 Gulls delighted with first crowd of the summer
- 8 Praise for Sonny after he plays key role in senior debut for Somerset
- 9 'Pinged' Gulls trio out of action
- 10 Spacious, family home in ideal location close to schools, shops and beaches
'We are always made most welcome and the food is always brilliant and best of all, many ingredients are sourced locally.
'My husband, through his charity work, has been particularly aware of food deprivation among hard up families in the South West and this issue has escalated since the lock-down and the closure of schools which has meant a frightening number of our young people missing out on free and nutritious school lunches which I am afraid are often their only decent meal.
'So, it is magnificent that these amazing ladies from Below Decks and Mr and Mrs Jones have provided nearly 1,000 meals to Katie.'
The meals are delivered to homes across the Bay twice a week by the team
The project has also been supported by the Cary Arms, WeSup, Shoreline Restaurant, Roots Fruit and Veg, Riviera Food, Devon Packaging and South Devon College.
Once the current crisis allows, we are planning a celebration event for all Our Heroes which is being run in partnership with Majestic Holidays.
If you have anybody you would like to nominate please send the details of who and why with a picture if possible to email@example.com