Organisations unite to support Brixham through lockdown
- Credit: Archant
Brixham Stronger Together is a collaboration of more than 14 organisations working with and for the community in Brixham.
At the start of the pandemic, five organisations came together to offer each other support and to make sure we were working together to support to the community.
BST has grown to more than 14 organisations and continues to grow - Yes! Brixham, Brixham Food Bank, Brixham Does Care, The Fishermen's Mission, Torbay Carers, Brixham Town Council, Brixham Bee Well, Churches Together in Brixham, Brixham Rugby Club, Brixham Library, Brixham Community Builders (TCDT), Youth Genesis, Brixham Theatre, South Devon Players and Brixham Job Centre.
We have supported the community by;
• producing an information leaflet detailing where residents can access local support, delivered to doors in the town by a raft of volunteers
• worked with Brixham Job Centre to make sure Universal Credit claimants know what support is available to them
• meeting fortnightly with each other so we can respond in real time to the needs of the community
- 1 Former church home of Rainbow Fun House is sold
- 2 Torquay United strengthen the depth of their squad
- 3 Torquay United FA Trophy preview
- 4 Storm in a T-CUP at Plainmoor
- 5 Purple Angel helping Torbay Hospital
- 6 Gary Johnson: I have faith in Olaf's potential
- 7 Former Gulls teammates pay tribute to Clint Boulton
- 8 Goalkeeper and Gulls fan Harry, 16, on bench for Exeter City
- 9 Raise a glass for Clint Boulton
- 10 New Covid testing centre opens in Bay
• holding virtual coffee mornings raising awareness for carers and the support they can access
• holding a Fish Friday event, spreading a shop local message and raising awareness of where you can access support in the town for anything from information and advice, mental health support, befriending and youth activities
• meeting MP Anthony Magnell to find out what support he can offer Brixham.
As we move out of lockdown, BST will continue to work together to ensure Brixham has all the support it needs to be a vibrant and successful town.
BST is working on issues such as transport, mental health, volunteering and isolation and we will be keeping you posted through this column.
We would like to say a massive thank you to the volunteers who have helped Brixham Stronger Together over the three months. A particular mention goes to Brixham Does Care, Brixham Theatre and Yes! Brixham and the musicians who gave their time to perform in the Fish Friday live stream and the members of the fishing community who sent videos of themselves catching, preparing and cooking fish, all of which were watched by more than 3,000 people for the Fish Friday event.