Opening date revealed for Home Bargains at Torquay
- Credit: Ed Oldfield
The opening date has been announced for a new Home Bargains store in Torquay.
The branch at Wren Park is opening on Saturday, July 3, and it is still looking for staff.
The national chain is taking over the empty Mothercare unit at the site owned by Torbay Council off Brown’s Bridge Road.
The national baby and children’s goods retailer went into administration at the end of 2019.
Currently the nearest Home Bargains is at Newton Abbot and the chain is expanding across the South West.
A spokesperson for Home Bargains said: “Our Torquay store is due to open on 3rd July 2021 at Wren Park, creating upwards of 50 new jobs for the local community.
“As such, we are currently recruiting for store supervisors, store assistants and store cleaners, and would encourage those interested to head to our careers website.”
- 1 Main frame of new Torquay hotel will rise out of the ground this month
- 2 Tributes to our Mike - a true Torquinian and family man
- 3 Torquay company gets Twitter boost from Theo Paphitis
- 4 Gulls inconsolable after defeat
- 5 'Passionate and privileged' - that's Hospice at Home team member Donna
- 6 Hartlepool United 1 Torquay United 1 (Hartlepool win 5-4 on penalties after extra-time)
- 7 Typical mistakes you should avoid when selling your home
- 8 Local rescues are your first port of call for kittens
- 9 The Brit Awards and gender: A shift in attitude or just for show?
- 10 Trio get their running shoes on for Bay half marathon fund-raiser
The separate Wren Park retail centre including a branch of Boots is next to The Willows centre, which has large Sainsbury’s and Marks and Spencer.
A planning application was submitted to Torbay Council last year to lift a restriction on the sale of food and drink to allow the trader to carry its full range of goods.
The Wren Park retail development went ahead after permission was granted at an appeal in 1992.
A planning condition restricted the goods to non-food retail only, but was updated to allow the sale of baby food by Mothercare.
The Home Bargains chain is privately run and describes itself as a 'discount retailer selling top brands at the lowest possible price on the UK high street'.
The company started more than 40 years ago in Liverpool and has 530 stores, with plans to open 50 new outlets a year to expand to 900 locations.
Details and how to apply for a job with Home Bargains at Torquay can be found at http://jobs.homebargains.co.uk