Torbay restaurants turn to DIY for new food venture
- Credit: Archant
Lockdown life has seen many of us expand our DIY horizons but Austin Gosling from On the Rocks restaurants in Torquay and Brixham has taken the whole concept to a tasty new level.
After the enforced closure of bars and restaurants, Austin and his business partner Lucas Burgess had to shut the doors to both Bay restaurants, leading to an ingenious new idea.
Step forward DIY Devon Food Kits... with restaurant-quality food brought to the door with the simplest of instructions, this initiative is to get people enjoying fabulous high-end dishes in the comfort and safety of their own homes.
Austin said: 'During the lockdown and closure of both restaurants, I set up a new business called DIY Devon Food Kits.
'I have restructured and prepared some of my favourite dishes originally created for the restaurant, meaning we can deliver them to people's homes with really easy-to-use cooking instructions.
'The financial side of lockdown has been terrifying for everyone in hospitality and, while I have enjoyed spending some family time with my wife and young son, my professional life previously has been dedicated to working every evening/weekend and in the kitchen 60 hours a week.
'I'm lucky enough to have a separate commercial grade development kitchen at home and have set up the company from there.
- 1 Tributes flow for legendary harbour artist Bill - our 'William in Orange'
- 2 Dumped goldfish and carp rescued after found flapping for life on grass verge
- 3 NL suspension is out of the question
- 4 Tributes paid to college champion, BBC legend and 'real gentleman' Alan, 85
- 5 Gulls going for 'double' after transfer signings
- 6 Decision time for National League clubs
- 7 Work set to start at Torquay seafront gardens
- 8 Former Torbay mayor says Living Coasts site should become a public open space
- 9 Torquay loan goalkeeper from Truro
- 10 Purple Angel helping Torbay Hospital
'The idea for DIY Devon Food Kits is to bridge the gap between your standard takeaway and restaurant food.
'I do all the preparation and some cooking, everything is then delivered with straightforward instructions for the customer.
'We are now working very hard towards responsibly reopening both On the Rocks on July 4, with appropriate risk assessments and social distancing in place.
'DIY Devon Food Kits will continue after the reopening of the restaurants. It has been such as an enjoyable and successful venture particularly for me as a chef to be able to form new associations with customers.
'In the restaurants, I am generally in the kitchen and rarely get to see the guests. It has been brilliant that DIY Devon Food Kits has given me the luxury to be out and about meeting and building new relationships within the community.'