Mysterious Torbay: Torbay UFO ‘hotspot’ revealed
- Credit: Archant
For many years there have been documented sightings of UFOs in the Torbay area.
What are these strange lights and shapes that have been seen hovering in the sky?
Are they earthly objects such as drones, weather balloons or satellites, just innocently making their way across the sky? Or are they some kind of alien UFO?
There are many so-called 'hot spot' areas, and Brixham seems to have had more than its fair share of UFO sightings.
Many years ago I was told a story about two young boys who had gone fishing at Brixham Breakwater.
It wasn't the usual story of a saucer-shaped object seen moving at great speed across the sky, no, it was very different.
The boys were sat quietly fishing, watching their floats bobbing on the water, waiting for the fish to bite.
- 1 Relentless from Torquay United
- 2 Concluding the debate about diesel v petrol v electric cars
- 3 Royal Mail set to drop objection to Crossways redevelopment
- 4 For our 'rock' as much as anybody, everything is crossed for promotion
- 5 Picture special: Memories of visits to Torbay and South Devon
- 6 Chance to have your say on power giants' massive investment plans
- 7 Rowers - and Mr Portillo - in bid to go round world in 80 days and raise money for Rowcroft
- 8 Plans unveiled to demolish Torquay Debenhams store
- 9 Woking 0 Torquay United 2
- 10 Prince Philip's final resting place will be in tiny chapel
One of the boys noticed something strange under the water, he could see lights.
They both could see these lights but didn't know what they were.
The lights were at a distance from them, and as they sat pondering, there was a loud, wooshing noise and suddenly a large object propelled itself up out of the water and sped off at great speed into the evening sky.
No explanation could be found as to what it could be.
There have been other sightings in the Brixham area.
On April 28, 1967, a UFO was spotted over Brixham and was witnessed by a number of people.
It was said to resemble a large dome and hovered over the town for about an hour.
After this time it shot off and disappeared.
In March, 2009, an illuminated object which glowed an orange and gold colour was seen in the night sky to the east of Brixham harbour.
After a few minutes it suddenly sped off in another direction.
These are just a few examples of UFO sightings, there have been many more.
There is another type of UFO which has been witnessed in recent years, called a Rod, and that is exactly what it looks like.
These have been witnessed all over the world. They are quite small and move rapidly, sometimes low to the ground.
Not the classical UFO shape, but none the less still classed as such.
Watch the skies, folks...