Mysterious Torbay: Can you see anything unusual?
- Credit: Archant
Why is it that we sometimes see things that aren’t there?
Faces in clouds are sometimes seen and mists that look like the shape of a human or animal.
This is called pareidolia and I think the easiest way to describe it is, that your brain is trying to make sense out of chaos.
Our brains like to compartmentalise things and will try to make the most random shapes into something that it recognises.
This can sometimes happen when we are tired which may be why so many anomalies are seen on waking or during disturbed sleep.
There are, of course, exceptions and these should always be explored. It may well be that you really have seen something strange and if more than one person has seen the same as you then what you have seen may be real.
In 2002, a family came over from Canada on holiday and visited many of the usual tourist sites, Cockington village being one of them. They took many photographs around the village and also of the church.
- 1 Relentless from Torquay United
- 2 Rowers - and Mr Portillo - in bid to go round world in 80 days and raise money for Rowcroft
- 3 Woking 0 Torquay United 2
- 4 For our 'rock' as much as anybody, everything is crossed for promotion
- 5 Concluding the debate about diesel v petrol v electric cars
- 6 Royal Mail set to drop objection to Crossways redevelopment
- 7 Plans unveiled to demolish Torquay Debenhams store
- 8 Picture special: Memories of visits to Torbay and South Devon
- 9 Herbert Whitley fulfilled earlier vision of a zoo when opening Paignton Zoological and Botanical Gardens
- 10 Chance to have your say on power giants' massive investment plans
On returning home to Canada they checked their treasured holiday snaps and were surprised to see something strange on one which was taken outside the church.
Here is a copy of the photograph which they kindly sent to me. Can you see anything in the photograph that looks unusual?
Many people have looked at this photograph and are agreed on what they can see in it. If you can see something I would be interested to hear from you. My email address is email@example.com