Must be Christmas for parkers - at a quid a time
- Credit: Torbay Council
Between 1 December and 24 December, reduced parking fees will be offered in selected Torbay Council car parks.
This means that shoppers and visitors to Torquay, Paignton and Brixham town centres can pay for an hour and stay for the day.
This is the third year in a row that Torbay Council has offered the parking promotion to support local businesses during the festive period.
Each of the main town centres offer something different. With a wide range of independent outlets, leisure activities, art galleries and cuisines to sample – visitors can meet, shop and eat this December without worrying their parking will expire.
Research conducted by TDA found that around 40 per cent of high street businesses in the Bay did not have a website. Businesses without a web presence rely solely on customers visiting in person. The Christmas parking offer is a way in which Torbay Council are encouraging people to support local businesses, particularly after a difficult couple of years.
Cllr Steve Darling, Leader of the Council, said; “I’m delighted that this initiative is launched just in time to help with Small Business Saturday when people are encouraged to support independent traders. Local businesses are at the heart of Torbay, and we want to make it as easy as we can for people to shop locally and support local business, especially over the Christmas period.”
Town centre businesses can support the campaign by downloading posters from Torbay Council’s website and displaying them in their own premises.
- 1 2021 Talisker Whisky Atlantic Challenge rowers heading for finish line
- 2 Retro Sport: Whatever the temptation, the sanctity of cricket is paramount
- 3 Nurturing the Plainmoor pitch
- 4 Ray of success for Chris after years of trying
- 5 Picture special: Views from across Torbay
- 6 Brilliant Buckland advance in the FA Vase
- 7 Go ahead for climbing attraction at old RICC tennis courts
- 8 Walkabout Torbay with Keith Perry: Excellent museum tells town's railway story
- 9 Remembering our loved ones this Christmas
- 10 Working hard to ensure success of fishing industry in Brixham
The scheme will run from 1 December to 24 December inclusive at the following car parks: Torquay – Lower Union Lane and Union Square. Please be aware of the closing times of both car parks; Paignton – Victoria multi-storey; Brixham – Central, Freshwater and Oxen Cove
For motorists using Brixham Central, the £1.40 fee will allow for up to a maximum stay of 3 hours: this would normally cost up to £3.50.
The usual free street parking will still apply in Torquay and Paignton on Sundays in December on the following roads: Torquay – Magdalene Road, Lymington Road, Castle Road, Union Street, Babbacombe Road; Paignton – Palace Avenue.