Picture special: Memories of visits to Torbay and South Devon
- Credit: Torquay Museum
Torquay Museum's picture archive has revealed these images of Prince Philip and the Queen on several visits to Torbay and South Devon.
This selection of photographs includes a visit to Torquay Town Hall in May, 1956.
In 1960, Prince Philip was pictured with then Mayor of Torquay John Haarer opposite the ABC Regal Cinema in Castle Circus, Torquay.
He is also seen with Sir Arthur Thomson, then acting president of the British Medical Association, after the annual meeting at which the Duke had presided. The procession is crossing Lymington Road from the doorway of the town hall to the Scientific Exhibition which was held in Upton Vale Baptist School Hall opposite on June 20, 1960.
Another picture shows a visit at the end of that decade - the departure of the Royal Family from Haldon Pier on July 28, 1969. This time the Royal couple brought their children, Prince Charles and Princess Anne.
The Queen's silver jubilee year saw a visit to Beacon Quay, Torquay, in August, 1977.
And in 1988, the Royal couple were photographed during a visit to Brixham.
- 1 Jim Parker: Now is the Time for action after Chief Constable's revealing walkabout
- 2 United heading into the future
- 3 Torquay United 0 Argyle 3
- 4 Money talks in professional football - but it can't buy success
- 5 No packed lunches but six weeks of bad weather!
- 6 Praise for Sonny after he plays key role in senior debut for Somerset
- 7 £900,000 state-of-art gym signals start of new era at RIC
- 8 It's taken a generation but it is definitely now Paignton's turn
- 9 Princess curtain to rise after 509 days in the darkness
- 10 The secret of replacing those cherished hugs that mean so much
The PR codes quoted in the picture captions are references to be quoted to buy copies of the photograph from Torquay Museum.