Picture special: Memories of visits to Torbay and South Devon
- Credit: Torquay Museum
Torquay Museum's picture archive has revealed these images of Prince Philip and the Queen on several visits to Torbay and South Devon.
This selection of photographs includes a visit to Torquay Town Hall in May, 1956.
In 1960, Prince Philip was pictured with then Mayor of Torquay John Haarer opposite the ABC Regal Cinema in Castle Circus, Torquay.
He is also seen with Sir Arthur Thomson, then acting president of the British Medical Association, after the annual meeting at which the Duke had presided. The procession is crossing Lymington Road from the doorway of the town hall to the Scientific Exhibition which was held in Upton Vale Baptist School Hall opposite on June 20, 1960.
Another picture shows a visit at the end of that decade - the departure of the Royal Family from Haldon Pier on July 28, 1969. This time the Royal couple brought their children, Prince Charles and Princess Anne.
The Queen's silver jubilee year saw a visit to Beacon Quay, Torquay, in August, 1977.
And in 1988, the Royal couple were photographed during a visit to Brixham.
- 1 There may be no carnival again - but that won't dampen spirits as Christmas plans are unveiled
- 2 Sinclair's special start on community day
- 3 Cyclists off to Scotland in support of 'super vet' star
- 4 Rowing: Excellent conditions for river Dart racing
- 5 Sally Allen: When is a woman not a woman?
- 6 Basketball: Torbay Tigers back to winning ways
- 7 Torquay United 2 King's Lynn Town 0
- 8 Securing future of Pavilion takes step forward
- 9 Gulls boss Gary Johnson: Homegrown duo 'in my future plans'
- 10 Retro Sport: Lottery winner's cricket ambition that money couldn't buy
The PR codes quoted in the picture captions are references to be quoted to buy copies of the photograph from Torquay Museum.