Errin, four, is lockdown litter legend
- Credit: Archant
Take a bow Errin Smith, one of the Bay’s lockdown legends.
Errin, four, has been keeping the local streets and beaches clean as dad Matthew explains: “Our little girl takes great pleasure in litter picking in our local Preston and Paignton area. She is very passionate about litter picking, the environment and clearing the beaches come rain or shine.
“We started the hobby with Errin and her little brother Emmett who is 18 months old during the first lockdown back in March.
“We wanted to encourage Errin to do something positive during a time which was a little uneasy and at times stressful.
“We found a website online which sold children’s sized litter pickers so decided to get her one.”
Matthew reveals: “Since then it has been a regular activity. Errin finds it lots of fun and it helps us encourage her to walk further, it’s even got to the point where her little brother now points out rubbish whenever we are out and about.”
Errin’s parents are hoping her efforts will inspire other youngsters to follow in her litter-picking footsteps.
- 1 Relentless from Torquay United
- 2 Rowers - and Mr Portillo - in bid to go round world in 80 days and raise money for Rowcroft
- 3 For our 'rock' as much as anybody, everything is crossed for promotion
- 4 Woking 0 Torquay United 2
- 5 Concluding the debate about diesel v petrol v electric cars
- 6 Royal Mail set to drop objection to Crossways redevelopment
- 7 Plans unveiled to demolish Torquay Debenhams store
- 8 Picture special: Memories of visits to Torbay and South Devon
- 9 Absolutely ridiculous and selfish
- 10 Herbert Whitley fulfilled earlier vision of a zoo when opening Paignton Zoological and Botanical Gardens
Matthew says: “I would encourage all other parents to take up this hobby for toddlers/young children. It’s a feel-good hobby with immediate benefits to our local environment.”
Errin’s sterling efforts are certainly an inspiration to others and something to celebrate.
The Torbay Weekly would love to cover more of these inspirational, heart-warming stories and share them with our readers. To celebrate with our readers and audience.
If you have a story of celebration or inspiration please share it with us. It can be an anniversary, a birthday, engagement or wedding, passing your driving test or an exam or doing well in the field of sport.
There is so much to celebrate in our Naturally Inspiring Bay with Inspiring people just like Errin doing inspiring deeds. And we could all do with those uplifting stories at this moment in timr amid all the doom and gloom
If you have a story to tell please send us any details and information, ideally including a photograph, to firstname.lastname@example.org