Lidl wants to build a third store at Paignton
- Credit: Archant
Plans have gone in for a new Lidl supermarket at Paignton.
The scheme includes a new junction at the site off the A380 Kings Ash Road which would provide access to future new homes in the Great Parks area.
The retailer says it wants to build the new store on the 4.5acre site ‘at the earliest opportunity’.
Documents submitted with a planning application to Torbay Council show a new store with a 145-space car park reached from a new road opposite Spruce Way.
The road would lead past the store to future housing sites allocated as part of the Great Parks Masterplan.
The single-level building described as ‘neighbourhood foodstore’ would have solar panels on the roof with landscaping to minimise its impact on the area.
A statement with the application from agents One Design Architectural Services on behalf of the retailer says: “Lidl regards the application site as ideally suited to meet its requirement for a new discount store to better serve the local community.”
- 1 Relentless from Torquay United
- 2 Rowers - and Mr Portillo - in bid to go round world in 80 days and raise money for Rowcroft
- 3 Woking 0 Torquay United 2
- 4 For our 'rock' as much as anybody, everything is crossed for promotion
- 5 Absolutely ridiculous and selfish
- 6 United visit Woking tonight
- 7 Royal Mail set to drop objection to Crossways redevelopment
- 8 Prince Philip's final resting place will be in tiny chapel
- 9 Former Argos store to be temporary job centre for Bay residents seeking work
- 10 Plans unveiled to demolish Torquay Debenhams store
It adds: “Given Lidl’s commitment to invest in Paignton, the proposed development will, if consented, be constructed at the earliest opportunity and will add to Paignton’s retail offering, and provide the local centre proposed in the Local Plan.
“The proposal will build out a consented signalised junction into the Great Parks allocation that will serve for access to potential future residential developments.”
A decision is expected to be made after the consultation period which ends on Wednesday, November 11.
Lidl operates more than 800 stores in the UK. In Paignton, it already has a store in the Victoria shopping centre and an out-of-town site on Brixham Road.