Knitters come together to raise money for charities
- Credit: Co-op Funeralcare
Funeral homes across Torbay and South Devon are calling on the local community to knit a colourful square to create rainbow blankets for charity.
The knitted squares will be put together to make a giant rainbow, and then divided into blankets before being donated to local charities and nursing homes to help spread joy throughout the community.
Kate Parsons, funeral service manager and community champion at Co-op Funeralcare in Devon and Somerset, created the initiative after being blown away by the support of knitting for charity in 2020.
She said: “We are planning to collect as many knitted squares in rainbow colours as we can to create a blanket, with the hope to bring a bit of cheer and activity to as many people as possible, as we all try to get through the long and sometimes dreary days.
"We’ve already had many squares sent in. The local community never fail to amaze me with their involvement and generosity.
"Last year, as a region, we raised nearly £5,500 for national and regional charities through knitting and socially distanced activities, and I bet this year will be even more successful."
Anyone interested in taking part can request squares to be collected locally from doorsteps, or can post to Co-op Funeralcare in Torquay, Paignton, Newton Abbot, Kingsteignton (J & K Davey Funeralcare), Dawlish, Teignmouth, Buckfastleigh (Gill & Eales), Kingsbridge Funeralcare or Totnes (Hallett & Perring Funeralcare) by March 31.
- 1 Torquay United 3 Truro City 0
- 2 Barton Hill Academy students triumph in national awards
- 3 Vehicle life expectancy - who's the clever one?
- 4 World's biggest sailing ship graces Bay's horizon
- 5 Family home in popular residential area
- 6 School is first in Bay to reach career guidance benchmarks
- 7 Torbay Ironman completes first race of the season
- 8 Spacious, family home in ideal location close to schools, shops and beaches
- 9 £15,000 'compensation' as Nemane leaves Torquay United
Knitted squares are based on 4mm needles, 29 stitches x 43 rows in squares. Patterns, knitted or crocheted, will be gratefully received by Kate and the team at Co-op Funeralcare.
To donate a knitted square, or for more information, email Kate.Parsons@letsco-operate.com