Memorial service held to remember our Home Guard
- Credit: Robert Excell
A special memorial service has been held in Torquay.
It was staged at the Corbyn Head Torquay National Home Guard Memorial on the seafront.
The 77th annual Commemoration Service was held on August 11 and was arranged by the Royal British Legion Torquay Branch
It was to remember with honour the 1,206 Home Guard killed by enemy action in the Second World War.
The ceremony was also to remember the six men who died and four who were seriously injured 77 years ago when the breach of a gun exploded at the gun site battery of Southern Command Coastal Battery Artillery at Corbyn Head on that day.
The service was attended by members of the Royal British Legion, local ex-military associations, Torbay councillors, and Bay MP Kevin Foster.
- 1 Cheers as former player Jim backs United
- 2 Dementia mini mental test - is it fit for purpose?
- 3 2021 Talisker Whisky Atlantic Challenge rowers heading for finish line
- 4 Go ahead for climbing attraction at old RICC tennis courts
- 5 Motoring: Fondly looking back at 2021 with some surprising results
- 6 Paignton business expands team and offices to deliver tech offer
- 7 Remembering our loved ones this Christmas
- 8 £1.5million development gets underway at Mayfield
- 9 Bowls: Great quarter-final win for Torbay
- 10 Ray of success for Chris after years of trying