How to choose dream home from 9,000 miles away
- Credit: Rekord Media.
After almost 40 years of living overseas, the last 10 in rural Western Australia, Chris and Emma Brown moving home to South Devon and a brand-new home they’ve chosen, reserved and fitted-out entirely online and via video calls.
The global pandemic and lockdown forced the retired couple to consider exactly where they wanted to settle down and a visit to Chris’ family hometown of Newton Abbot in 2019 where they noticed signage for Cavanna Homes’ new Wolborough Hill development led them to the local homebuilder’s website a year later.
“My family are from Newton Abbot, so I know the area well and each year Emma and myself spend between three to six months in the UK visiting friends and family. When the lockdown was announced and we were unable to make our annual trip, we realised just how much we missed being in England,” said Chris.
They will be leaving behind their home in the town of Yallingup, near Margaret River, with kangaroos regularly jumping through the garden.
With the help of Cavanna Homes’ Sales Advisors, Janine Dixon and Sarah Bowden, the couple reserved a modern four-bedroom Hampton style home.
Chris said: “We had regular video calls over WhatsApp with the Sales Advisors and even chose our tile, carpet and kitchen choices over the phone with them!”
“We’re hoping to complete by March 2021 and move in as soon as Covid restrictions allow,” said Emma.
- 1 Relentless from Torquay United
- 2 For our 'rock' as much as anybody, everything is crossed for promotion
- 3 Concluding the debate about diesel v petrol v electric cars
- 4 Rowers - and Mr Portillo - in bid to go round world in 80 days and raise money for Rowcroft
- 5 Woking 0 Torquay United 2
- 6 Royal Mail set to drop objection to Crossways redevelopment
- 7 Picture special: Memories of visits to Torbay and South Devon
- 8 Plans unveiled to demolish Torquay Debenhams store
- 9 Herbert Whitley fulfilled earlier vision of a zoo when opening Paignton Zoological and Botanical Gardens
- 10 Chance to have your say on power giants' massive investment plans