Mick flies the flag for Help for Heroes
- Credit: Submitted
Mick Barnes believes in keeping the flag - or flags - flying our war veterans.
That's why you will see him and his suitably-decorated scooter making several public appearances in the coming months raising money for the Help the Heroes cause.
Mick, who has also set up his own 'Tommy Appeal' Just Giving page, says: "My wife and I are both now retired now. Coming down to Torquay seemed a good place to retire as we have a daughter who lives here.
"Both my father and brother were in the army. My grandson was in the Scots Regiment and toured in Afghanistan. My mother's cousin escaped from a prisoner-of-war camp in Germany eventually joined the French Resistance in 1942.
"I was a Merchant seaman. So we said we would raise some funds for the ex-service men and women as a lot have post traumatic stress syndrome and are also homeless."
Details of his collecting tour of duty are: Torquay harbour, June 17; Torquay B&Q, June 20; Torquay harbour, July 16; Teignmouth seafront, August 15; Torquay harbour, August 17; Teignmouth seafront, August 29.
- 1 Main frame of new Torquay hotel will rise out of the ground this month
- 2 Torquay company gets Twitter boost from Theo Paphitis
- 3 Tributes to our Mike - a true Torquinian and family man
- 4 Gulls inconsolable after defeat
- 5 'Passionate and privileged' - that's Hospice at Home team member Donna
- 6 Typical mistakes you should avoid when selling your home
- 7 The Brit Awards and gender: A shift in attitude or just for show?
- 8 Hartlepool United 1 Torquay United 1 (Hartlepool win 5-4 on penalties after extra-time)
- 9 Local rescues are your first port of call for kittens
- 10 Trio get their running shoes on for Bay half marathon fund-raiser