Granddad John puts in the miles for zoo appeal
- Credit: Archant
Granddad John raises £1,200 for Paignton Zoo by running 10km a day
Granddad John Scammell has completed an amazing running challenge to raise over £1,200 for Paignton Zoo.
John, 56, from Kingsteignton and now Plymouth, read the stories of concern coming from the Zoo about its future and decided to make his own little dent in their financial worries.
Through the month of May, a very hot month this year, John ran an amazing 10km every single day, fighting fatigue and sunshine to complete an exhausting but inspiring challenge.
'I work as an Army Reservist but it's actually my full-time job, working at the Derriford Army Reserve Centre, so fitness is part of my professional life,' said John.
'I challenged myself to run 10km every day through the month of May to help raise some funds for the Zoo, having read about their financial struggles and even the possibility of them losing some of the animals.
'I set up a page on JustGiving.com and it was a case of getting the run done every day, updating the page and encouraging the community to donate. I work in Plymouth, so a lot of the runs were completed in the Derriford area.
- 1 Chesterfield 2 Torquay United 2
- 2 Stephanie lined up for top award - and is one of 'Our Heroes'
- 3 Jim Parker: Seafront illuminations are shining a light on bright future of our English Riviera
- 4 Spirited draw for the Gulls
- 5 Property of the Week: Character cottage that's close to town centre
- 6 Christian: 'I'm determined to make a difference'
- 7 Goalkeeper Shaun MacDonald has 'no regrets or worries about being back'
- 8 Colin Lee: Late goal dramas - managing the situation
- 9 Nightmare on Torwood Street continues...
- 10 Bay's Agatha Christie Festival went swimmingly well!
'On the weekend or a day off, I would run 10km around Kingsteignton and Newton Abbot. May was blisteringly hot and, while I regularly run 10 – 12km in my lunch break, fatigue did begin to set in as we got past the middle of the month.
'I was more concerned with keeping it going every single day and avoiding injury, but it was great to complete the challenge and hand over a cheque of £1,240 to Paignton Zoo.
'I am a huge animal-lover and it was hear-tbreaking to read about things potentially going wrong for the Zoo. It was a case of just trying to do my bit to help.
'I've taken my daughters to Paignton Zoo. My Granddaughter has been there, and a place the whole community enjoys visiting. If you lose that type of thing, you will never get it back again. We must maintain and support what we currently have in the community.'