Golfers' pirate day raises £6,000 for Rowcroft
- Credit: Torquay Golf Club
More than 220 members of Torquay Golf Club took part in a pirate-themed Captain's Day golf competition in aid of Rowcroft Hospice.
Some players turned up in full pirate costumes, while others got involved by wearing eye patches, bandannas and earrings.
A refreshment vehicle was provided by Tolchards on the 11th tee, where players stopped for a free pint and pasty.
A club spokesperson said: "The competition was a fun event with some holes having special challenges and prizes.
"The eventual winning team was Dave Cadwallader, Chris Overton, Richard Overton and Gareth Robertson.
"The evening was spent dancing the night away to music provided by the Vinyl Avengers.
"Thanks to the many volunteers, generous supporters, sponsors and the fabulous members of Torquay Golf Club more than £6,000 was raised for Rowcroft Hospice.
- 1 £1million grants to give Bay new housing boost
- 2 Underdog mindset for the Gulls
- 3 United 'Community Day' to unite Bay - and there are 1,000 free tickets
- 4 Ticket price offer for Torquay United's FA Cup tie
- 5 Aldi, KFC and Costa Coffee plan approved for 'Gateway to Torquay'
- 6 Turning our season around
- 7 MP Anthony Mangnall: I've a new-found appreciation for hard work of our fishermen
- 8 This sorry saga was always going to end in tears - but we need the horses and what about the Proms?
- 9 Bridleway takes you to Agatha Christie's 'loveliest place in the world'
- 10 Blooming marvellous Torbay winners
"The event was sponsored by local businesses including Cavanna Homes, WBW Solicitors, Torbay Taxis, The Mortgage Cube, Devon Tarmasters, Emery and Piper, and Pet Remedy."
To make a donation, go to www.justgiving.com/fundraising/tim-cowell1