Full steam ahead for Dartmouth Steam Railway
- Credit: Archant
Attractions across Torbay are setting a date for the responsible reopening of tourism and July 7 has been pencilled in for the Dartmouth Steam Railway and River Boat Company.
Like everywhere, the rail and river boat team have worked wonders to create a safe environment for the new normal and it is now all about the final tweaks before welcoming visitors for a special journey.
'The starting point for us was watching the major supermarkets had done to comply with the guidelines,' said managing director John Jones.
'We looked at the way they worked with restricted volumes and an appropriate cleaning regime, using a fogging machine containing an anti-viral product. We have taken out a whole load of shelving from the gift shop and refreshment area to create a lot more space for visitors.
'We have worked out a queuing system for accessing the platform and capacity on the train has been reduced by half. People will be positioned in window seats with protective screens and aisle seats left empty.
'The allocated seating system prevents people from milling around on the train and we have also extended the platform to provide added room for embarking the train.
'Each carriage has a designated letter and people will have a corresponding area to wait on the platform. We are also fortunate to have carriages with multiple doors for entry and exit.
- 1 Former church home of Rainbow Fun House is sold
- 2 Torquay United strengthen the depth of their squad
- 3 Torquay United FA Trophy preview
- 4 Storm in a T-CUP at Plainmoor
- 5 Gary Johnson: I have faith in Olaf's potential
- 6 Purple Angel helping Torbay Hospital
- 7 Former Gulls teammates pay tribute to Clint Boulton
- 8 Cash for five Torbay good causes as Foster's Fund pays out
- 9 Goalkeeper and Gulls fan Harry, 16, on bench for Exeter City
- 10 Raise a glass for Clint Boulton
'We have also reduced capacity on the ferries from Kingswear and Dartmouth but they operate on a more frequent basis. The trains will also run more frequently, allowing us to provide the most convenient and enjoyable experience for visitors.
'It is massively important for Torbay that attractions reopen. Our staff have worked here for a long time and we know a lot of the local hotels and B&Bs rely on us to attract visitors.'
For details and to book, log on to www.dartmouthrailriver.co.uk