From Hamburg to Torbay: Introducing Milla
- Credit: Marleen Cuhn
The Hamburg born singer-songwriter brings raw contemporary soul to new heights.
For many new independent artists, it’s common for there to be a period of disorientation as they find their feet in the world of music.
But for Hamburg born singer-songwriter Milla, her soulful self-assured sounds have arrived in a ready-made package with a confidence in her music which screams stardom, a result of being brought up surrounded by a musical family.
It’s clear that Milla has a passion for turning emotions into sounds and you can find the proof in her debut release: ‘Ex’.
She may be a fresh-face to the Torbay music scene, but she makes it clear that she’s here to stay.
I spoke to Milla about her latest single, her early influences, life as a musician in a pandemic and what’s coming next...
What’s ‘Ex’ about?
- 1 Can you help free the Rowcroft Six - or shall we let them stay where they are?
- 2 Lift off for Air Show but what about Red Arrows?
- 3 Exeter Chiefs replace Native-American brand with nod to Devon's history
- 4 New singers welcome as Torbay Gilbert and Sullivan Society start The Mikado rehearsals
- 5 Teams work round clock to dismantle old railway bridge
- 6 Unlocking the genetic secrets of Kents Cavern’s Ice Age horses
- 7 Frying high after 40 years - and raising thousands for charity
- 8 Johnson promised cash to 'build bigger, stronger squad'
- 9 Green Spaces: A place to grow for Torbay trees
- 10 From trawler to plate in a day - chef Mitch Tonks bringing Brixham fish straight to customers' doors
'Ex' tells the story about a break-up, due to cheating. It’s never happened to me personally, although I wrote the song after putting myself in the shoes of someone who had to live through that and tried to imagine how I would want to react to the situation.
Who did you grow up listening to?
I grew up with a lot of different musical influences, ranging from Kate Bush and Amanda Marshall to Fleetwood Mac and Heart. A lot of those influences are my mums' fault and I am very thankful for growing up as diverse as I did.
How have you found releasing music during a pandemic?
Due to the lockdown, the days in the studio are always like an escape and a distraction from what's going on in the world right now, so I really worship those hours. Of course, we are still being careful and wear masks. Like the rest of the world, we’re hoping for a change to the better soon.
What’s next for you?
There is definitely more music to come soon and I am still working on my music. I cannot wait for bars and clubs to open again, so I can play in front of a live audience once again.
‘Ex’ by Milla is available to stream now via YouTube and you can follow her musical journey on Instagram: @millamakesmusic