War veteran wins Brixham Lottery - with cards bought for his 105th birthday
- Credit: Submitted
Brixham Lottery has been won by war veteran Fred Bates - who had 105 lottery cards given to him instead of birthday cards on his recent 105th birthday!
The Brixham Lottery is delighted to announce that the winner of the last Brixham Lottery is Fred Bates, a local resident and WW2 Veteran.
Fred recently celebrated a public 105th birthday celebrations in Scala Hall attended by local residents, family, friends and relatives from across the country.
And many people brought Fred a Brixham Lottery Card instead of the traditional birthday card.
It is believed the target of 105 cards - one for each year of Fred's life - was reached.
Fred has yet to decide if he wishes to have lifetime membership of the National Trust or the £1,000 cash prize.
John Brennan, Brixham Lottery promoter, said: "Of course, everyone is welcome to buy Fred a lottery card rather than a Christmas card... he is feeling very lucky!"
- 1 How we can cope with the Enemy Within
- 2 Devon beaches producing a healthy catch
- 3 Johnson looking to turn around the "mess"
- 4 Norrms McNamara: Ten-second delay...
- 5 Jim Parker: Top fashion store Maggie & Co closes doors after 48 years - but 'we leave on a high'
- 6 Part Two of the famous Gents bus and Beacon Down becomes Broken Down!
- 7 Torbay's green spaces go wild
- 8 Picture special: Sunrise in Torquay
- 9 Extended semi-detached house offers scope for annexe
- 10 Driving home for Christmas - but plan ahead to minimise problems
The new lottery card for the Christmas /New Year period is now on sale and has a first prize of £1,000 of jewellery, chosen from any Doble Jewellers.
Previous card winners have won a World War Two Spitfire flight, a luxury cruise for two, an electric bike, lifetime membership of the National Trust or alternative cash prizes worth thousands of pounds.
The Brixham Lottery also supports other local activities such as World War One and World War Two shadows art projects and other local improvements. One hundred percent of income generated goes to a local project or good cause.
The latest Christmas Lottery gift card tickets are available until December 27 in Brixham shops including Flour Flower Cafe and Florist, Shells Colours of Brixham Art Shop, Chris Slack Photography, Doble Jewellers, Trinity Cakes and the Chart Room.