Cash for five Torbay good causes as Foster's Fund pays out
- Credit: Submitted
Five local charities have received awards totalling £3,320 to support their work, after the latest round of donations from Foster’s Fund, a scheme set up by Torbay’s MP Kevin Foster.
Foster’s Fund is based on a pledge made by Torbay’s MP when he was first elected to parliament in 2015.
He pledged to not only oppose the ten per cent pay rise proposed for MPs at the time, but to reject it via donations to local charities if IPSA implemented it despite his objections.
Kevin renewed this pledge at the last General Election and has promised to continue Foster’s Fund until at least May 2024.
Since 2009, MPs have not voted on their own pay, with IPSA recently abandoning a plan to increase MPs pay by 4.1 per cent this year following opposition from Kevin and many other MPs to it.
The latest round of awards saw £1,000 for the Disabled Sailing Association, £550 for A Kind Of Magic, £770 for CHAD, £500 for the Triangle Community Project – Chelston and £500 for the Friends of South Devon College Students.
The financial support is for projects ranging from improving a community garden to supporting more with disabilities to experience the freedom of being out sailing on the open water.
- 1 Wrong red for Wrexham
- 2 FA Cup defeat creates two-week break for Gulls
- 3 Midweek shocks in the National League
- 4 Casting announced for The Osmonds: A New Musical at Princess Theatre
- 5 There may be no carnival again - but that won't dampen spirits as Christmas plans are unveiled
- 6 Kelly’s 100 miles for Breast Cancer awareness
- 7 Property of the Week: Simply striking family home in semi-rural setting
- 8 Show is world’s largest gathering of more than 3,000 iconic classic and vintage cars and motorbikes
- 9 Torquay United gaffer and players give Community Day a 'big thumbs up'
- 10 Gulls boss Gary Johnson: Homegrown duo 'in my future plans'
Kevin said: “The last ten months have seen many challenges thrown at our community, but groups across the Bay have continued their work to support people through them.
"I am pleased to be able to support these five groups with the latest round of payments from my Foster’s Fund.”
For details about Foster’s Fund, along with details of how to apply, log on to www.kevinjfoster.com/fosters-fund or call 01803 214 989.
To be eligible for Foster’s Fund the projects must be based, or aiming to do most of their work, in Kevin’s constituency. By law the award must be paid into the bank account of a registered charity.