Foster’s Fund pays out £2,900 to six local good causes
- Credit: Archant
Six local charities have received awards totalling £2,900 to support their work, after the latest round of donations from Foster's Fund, a scheme set up by Torbay's MP Kevin Foster.
Foster's Fund is based on a pledge made by Torbay's MP when he was first elected to parliament in 2015.
He pledged to not only oppose the ten per cent pay rise proposed for MPs at the time but to reject it via donations to local charities if IPSA implemented it despite his objections.
Kevin renewed this pledge at the last General Election and has promised to continue Foster's Fund until at least May 2024. Since 2009, MPs have not voted on their own pay.
The latest round of awards saw Babbacombe Corinthians Sailing Club (£1,000), Rising Moments (£500), South Devon Cats Rehoming (£500), Willows and New Barton Church (£300), Shekinah Grow (£300) and Jazz Hands (£300) all receive support for projects including buying a new single-handed dinghy to allow more local children to experience sailing and work to help those leaving abusive relationships post lockdown.
Kevin said: 'As we emerge from lockdown, many local groups are working hard to support our community, keep cultural venues going and to give people a fresh start.
'These six awards will help support people in our community making a difference.'
- 1 There may be no carnival again - but that won't dampen spirits as Christmas plans are unveiled
- 2 Sinclair's special start on community day
- 3 Cyclists off to Scotland in support of 'super vet' star
- 4 Rowing: Excellent conditions for river Dart racing
- 5 Sally Allen: When is a woman not a woman?
- 6 Basketball: Torbay Tigers back to winning ways
- 7 Torquay United 2 King's Lynn Town 0
- 8 Securing future of Pavilion takes step forward
- 9 Gulls boss Gary Johnson: Homegrown duo 'in my future plans'
- 10 Retro Sport: Lottery winner's cricket ambition that money couldn't buy
Details about Foster's Fund, along with details of how to apply, can be found by visiting www.kevinjfoster.com/fosters-fund or by calling 01803 214 989.
To be eligible for Foster's Fund the projects must be based, or aiming to do most of their work, in Kevin's Constituency. By law, the award must be paid into the bank account of a registered charity.