Fishermen cheer as Sam pops the question - and Tamla says 'yes'!
- Credit: Archant
Nearby fishermen slapped and cheered as Torbay Weekly's Tamla Thornton accepted a proposal of marriage at Churston Cove.
The cove was the romantic setting for the proposal to Tamla by her fiancée Sam.
Tamla said: "There was hardly anyone on the cove, apart from a couple of fishermen sat on the rocks who started clapping and cheering when Sam got down on one knee.
"After we rang our family and friends to share our news, we sat on the beach for a couple of hours as it was such a nice night.
"Sam had hidden a picnic and a bottle of Champagne in his backpack to celebrate.
"It was so relaxed and lovely and the location couldn’t have been more perfect - my dream engagement!”
The happy couple met eight years ago aged just 19, through mutual friends.
- 1 Chesterfield 2 Torquay United 2
- 2 Stephanie lined up for top award - and is one of 'Our Heroes'
- 3 Spirited draw for the Gulls
- 4 Jim Parker: Seafront illuminations are shining a light on bright future of our English Riviera
- 5 Property of the Week: Character cottage that's close to town centre
- 6 Christian: 'I'm determined to make a difference'
- 7 Colin Lee: Late goal dramas - managing the situation
- 8 Nightmare on Torwood Street continues...
- 9 Bay's Agatha Christie Festival went swimmingly well!
- 10 Goalkeeper Shaun MacDonald has 'no regrets or worries about being back'
In their years as a couple, Tamla has gained both an undergraduate and master's degree and Sam has toured the UK as a drummer in a band.
They lived in Bristol together for six years where Tamla studied and Sam worked as a business development manager.
Even though they loved living in Bristol, they decided to move back home to Torbay in the summer of 2020 to start building their careers closer to family, to live near the beach and to hopefully one day, buy a home together.
Almost eight years to the day of their anniversary, Sam popped the question on a beautiful summer's evening at Churston Cove - and Tamla said yes!
“I knew the engagement was coming up as we had talked about getting married before, but I don’t think you’re ever truly prepared when asked that question," said Tamla.
"I was so shocked! I was dressed in my gym clothes, that’s how clueless I was that he had decided to ask me on that day."
Do you have a happy occasion to share with the Torbay Weekly readers? Maybe it’s someone's special birthday, you’ve just got engaged, been promoted, or graduated. Whatever the happy occasion, send 350 words and a picture to email@example.com and we’ll feature your happy news in the Torbay Weekly.