Fishermen cheer as Sam pops the question - and Tamla says 'yes'!
- Credit: Archant
Nearby fishermen slapped and cheered as Torbay Weekly's Tamla Thornton accepted a proposal of marriage at Churston Cove.
The cove was the romantic setting for the proposal to Tamla by her fiancée Sam.
Tamla said: "There was hardly anyone on the cove, apart from a couple of fishermen sat on the rocks who started clapping and cheering when Sam got down on one knee.
"After we rang our family and friends to share our news, we sat on the beach for a couple of hours as it was such a nice night.
"Sam had hidden a picnic and a bottle of Champagne in his backpack to celebrate.
"It was so relaxed and lovely and the location couldn’t have been more perfect - my dream engagement!”
The happy couple met eight years ago aged just 19, through mutual friends.
- 1 Frying high after 40 years - and raising thousands for charity
- 2 Gulls walking Covid tightrope ahead of Solihull visit
- 3 Gulls downed by two late goals
- 4 Torbay remains 'Covid capital of Devon' despite drop in cases
- 5 Mark takes over at helm as Teignbridge Propellers invest in future
- 6 Swiss Raw crew cross finish line to win Atlantic rowing race
- 7 Patricia's delighted to bring Noel Coward's Private Lives to Princess Theatre
- 8 Lack of experience damages United
- 9 Green Spaces: A place to grow for Torbay trees
- 10 Motoring: More new arrivals in 2022 - and a bonus for electric users in the future
In their years as a couple, Tamla has gained both an undergraduate and master's degree and Sam has toured the UK as a drummer in a band.
They lived in Bristol together for six years where Tamla studied and Sam worked as a business development manager.
Even though they loved living in Bristol, they decided to move back home to Torbay in the summer of 2020 to start building their careers closer to family, to live near the beach and to hopefully one day, buy a home together.
Almost eight years to the day of their anniversary, Sam popped the question on a beautiful summer's evening at Churston Cove - and Tamla said yes!
“I knew the engagement was coming up as we had talked about getting married before, but I don’t think you’re ever truly prepared when asked that question," said Tamla.
"I was so shocked! I was dressed in my gym clothes, that’s how clueless I was that he had decided to ask me on that day."
Do you have a happy occasion to share with the Torbay Weekly readers? Maybe it’s someone's special birthday, you’ve just got engaged, been promoted, or graduated. Whatever the happy occasion, send 350 words and a picture to email@example.com and we’ll feature your happy news in the Torbay Weekly.