Face masks raise £400 for Torbay Food Alliance
- Credit: Archant
Sewing enthusiast Katie Breyley never thought her hobby would result in not only protecting people but also raising money for charity.
Katie, who lives in Torquay, has always been a dab hand when it comes to creating homemade gifts for friends and family - and had a sewing machine sat in the box for over a year begging her to be used.
In January, Katie took the plunge and booked on a basics of sewing course. After making some bunting for a friend's new baby, the sky was the limit!
As the country went into Covid-19 lockdown, Katie's mum asked her to make a face mask.
Katie said: 'My mum messaged and said we're likely to need to wear masks and asked would I be able to make one. Well challenge accepted! I found some material and elastic and followed a YouTube clip and it all continued from there... more than 100 masks later!'
Katie, however, was not satisfied with only making the masks and giving more than 100 people some safety and peace of mind - she also wanted to decided that all the money she had received in return for the masks was going to be donated to Torbay Food Alliance and asked if the donation could go towards providing food to those in need.
Katie said: 'I was desperate to be able to contribute to helping others in some way so felt donating any money raised would be amazing.
- 1 Tributes flow for legendary harbour artist Bill - our 'William in Orange'
- 2 Tributes paid to college champion, BBC legend and 'real gentleman' Alan, 85
- 3 Dumped goldfish and carp rescued after found flapping for life on grass verge
- 4 NL suspension is out of the question
- 5 Gulls going for 'double' after transfer signings
- 6 Midfield decisions for Torquay United
- 7 Work set to start at Torquay seafront gardens
- 8 Purple Angel helping Torbay Hospital
- 9 Widow Joan, 87, tells anti-vaxxers: 'Don't be silly'
- 10 Decision time for National League clubs
'Knowing that every penny is going towards making sure someone is able to feed themselves or their family is truly humbling and I am so grateful to all my family and friends for supporting me with my mission.'
Katie has raised and donated a huge £400 to Torbay Food Alliance.
A Torbay Food Alliance spokesman said: 'We cannot thank Katie enough for all her hard work and kind donation. Not only were there over 100 masks made to help people stay safe during this trying time but to use the money raised to help feed those most in need in Torbay is remarkably generous. Thank you so much Katie.'