End for the Palace but start of new beginning
- Credit: Archant
All but gone - the Palace Hotel will make way for a five-star hotel and spa resort
It was once a palace fit for a Queen – or, rather a Bishop. It was also once a shining light for Torbay and the English Riviera, a four-star haven for visitors.
But the Palace Hotel in Babbacombe became tired and was badly in need of investment.
Along came billionaire Singapore businessman Mr James and his Fragrance Group. Suddenly the Palace and three other local hotels were being snapped up as a massive £140 million investment and regeneration project was unveiled.
Branded hotels are already rising out of the ground at the site of two former hotels on Paignton seafront. The old Corbyn Head has also gone to make way for another hotel overlooking the Torquay waterfront.
And then we have the Palace, all that's left standing is one little 'tower' in what looks like a picture from a wartime bombing blitz.
But in its place will be a sparkling five-star hotel and spa - a massive vote of confidence for the Bay which will put us on the worldwide map, just like the Palace did in its glory days.
- 1 For our 'rock' as much as anybody, everything is crossed for promotion
- 2 Emotional day that revealed close-knit family behind monarchy
- 3 Spacious and flexible accommodation has been improved, updated, and extended
- 4 Plans unveiled to demolish Torquay Debenhams store
- 5 Dramatic bovine rescue from Torbay waters
- 6 Prince Philip's final resting place will be in tiny chapel
- 7 National League round-up
- 8 All aboard the Land train for lots of fun - and a history lesson or two!
- 9 I hope formality is put aside and the Queen is able to grieve for Prince Philip
- 10 An ideal family home or investment purchase