Charity set to benefit as Countdown to Christmas begins
- Credit: EF
EF Language School is undergoing a special Christmas Countdown that has the dual benefit of rewarding host families and providing valuable assistance to their partnered local charity, Feed a Child Torbay.
The 24-day social media campaign, which concludes on Christmas Eve, will reward those current registered host families at EF with prizes (chocolates, hampers, vouchers, or hampers).
Feed a Child Torbay are also being supported throughout the campaign, which, by the end, will see EF donate 15 boxes of biscuits and a £50 pound Sainsbury’s voucher.
“This campaign has a heavy online social media element,” said an EF spokesperson. “Every day, Reece from the Language School dresses up in Christmassy attire and films a Facebook Story video, where he picks a winning name out of a pink hat. A selfie is then taken with the winning host family in the evening, as we drop the prizes around every night.”
Feed A Child Torbay (FACT) provides food for children in need during school holidays, when they lack free school meals and might otherwise be hungry. At this time, FACT serve 16 primary schools, and are expanding.
The work of FACT relies entirely on volunteers, with three main roles for volunteers:
People who are self-isolating can help by contacting schools and updating charity records.
- 1 2021 Talisker Whisky Atlantic Challenge rowers heading for finish line
- 2 Retro Sport: Whatever the temptation, the sanctity of cricket is paramount
- 3 Nurturing the Plainmoor pitch
- 4 Ray of success for Chris after years of trying
- 5 Remembering our loved ones this Christmas
- 6 Picture special: Views from across Torbay
- 7 Brilliant Buckland advance in the FA Vase
- 8 Go ahead for climbing attraction at old RICC tennis courts
- 9 Working hard to ensure success of fishing industry in Brixham
- 10 National Lottery funding for Torre Abbey to help break down barriers to heritage
People who prefer to stay at home might pack meal kits; FACT can deliver the food and supplies needed to you and then collect the meal kits and deliver them to schools. The charity also needs volunteers who drive and can manage bags of groceries and cases of tins.
FACT welcome donations of money, food, or other supplies. If you want to donate food, it is helpful if you contact them first to see what is currently needed. Visit www.feedachildtorbay.org.uk for more information
As well as the fantastic Christmas Countdown, EF have revamped their Host Family Community Card, bringing in a number of new local shops, cafes, experiences, and restaurants for Torbay Host Families to enjoy until the end of 2022.
To find out more about Host Family opportunities, visit www.efacademy.org/en/torbay