Dogs banned from Torbay beaches for summer
- Credit: TDC
The annual seasonal restrictions on Torbay beaches came into effect last weekend with a reminder for dog owners to ensure they are adhering to the rules in respect of dogs on beaches.
The restrictions apply from May 1 to September 30, and it is advised that dog owners are fully aware of the rules before heading out with their dog to the local beach.
With a UK staycation on the cards for many people this year, the English Riviera is preparing for a busy summer season with an influx of people set to visit the area over the coming months.
During this time, it is important that dog owners adhere to the seasonal restrictions and ensure their dog is kept fully under control and on a lead along the promenades adjacent to those restricted beaches.
Restricting dogs on Torbay’s main beaches during the summer months enables residents and visitors to bathe safely and is a requirement for those beaches with Blue Flag status, as well as enabling Torbay to maintain its ‘excellent water quality’ rating, issued by the Environment Agency.
Kevin Mowat, director of place for Torbay Council, said; “With many more people choosing dogs as pets over the last year, we wanted to take this opportunity to remind dog owners about our seasonal restrictions for dogs on beaches.
"There are still plenty of beaches and open spaces that dog owners can enjoy over the summer months.’
- 1 Hartlepool United 1 Torquay United 1 (Hartlepool win 5-4 on penalties after extra-time)
- 2 Gulls inconsolable after defeat
- 3 Striker Scott not playing in play-off final - for a very good reason
- 4 Torbay's 'hidden gem' going from strength to strength - perhaps new restaurant will 'hammer' home that message?
- 5 Torquay United penalty order...just in case
- 6 Concentration the key for Torquay United
- 7 Tributes paid to village character Leebo who will be missed by many - but not perhaps some marauding football fans!
- 8 Tributes to our Mike - a true Torquinian and family man
- 9 Congratulations from Clarke
- 10 So much at stake for Torquay United
Beaches where dogs are permitted all year round in Torbay include Anstey’s Cove; Babbacombe Beach, Livermead Sands, Goodrington Sands North, Fairy Cove, Shoalstone Beach, Fishcombe Cove and Saltern Cove.
For a full list of beaches with and without restrictions, see the council’s website www.torbay.gov.uk/dogs-on-the-beach
A council spokesperson said: "We would also like to remind dog owners that ‘your dog is your responsibility’ at all times and includes picking up after the dog and keeping dogs on leads when walking along a road or on a pavement. This helps prevent accidents, or a dog running away and becoming lost.
"Dog owners who fail to pick up after their dog and are seen by officers could receive a £75 fixed penalty notice.
"Dog fouling issues can be reported on our website or by calling 01803 208025."